Gawith Hoggarth

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
what have you tried.. likes/dislikes? I picked up some of their Bosun Cut Plug.. WOW and some TBC.

so on blind faith I put in an order for more Bosun Cut Plug and TBC, Bob's Choc Flake, Dark Birdseye, Kendal KY, LA Per Flake.

best brown # 2 - loved it. going to cellar some

dark flake unscented - loved it! not going to cellar, more of an occasional smoke. the scented is next on the list

lousiana flake - very particular smoke. had a few epic ones, and a few blah ones. if i get my tax return in time i''ll put 500gs away for a while and see what it does.

brown flake unscented - going to cellar a few lbs of it.

bobs chocolate flake- i didn't think i would like it as much as i did. its in my cart and i think i'll keep some around. but i'm not going to cellar it or anything. hits the spot when you want something different.

over all i'm really stoked on GH&co and the moment. they have a certain depth to them and creamyness in the smoke that really makes me enjoy it. jus tso you know, even the unscented has a little bit of the lakeland scent to it. i enjoy it though. i also thoroughly enjoy the few snuffs i've had from this house. i'm turning to these guys more and more, and i plan on trying more of their tobaccos. it's easier to get than SG (although i love FVF, but so does everyone) and they make a bunch of flakes and plugs and ropes.

I was saving getting into the ropes and twist for the next order or so.

General impressions: Grasmere Flake is my favorite, to me a mild Lakeland with good underlying tobaccos. The florals in it are a bit less strong than the scents in Bob's or Louisiana Flake (both of which I also like). Glengarry's scents are different but also fairly mild for a GH Lakeland. Rum flake was too sweet for me.

Coniston was ok, if stronger scented than the above, as was the Scotch Mixture. Kendal Flake is just a plain strong dark tobacco; but Revor Plug is at least as strong, and that one I liked much better. I wasn't thrilled by the Broken Scotch Cake, but in general VAs don't do much for me.

DrT999":ckmesnlu said:
General impressions: Grasmere Flake is my favorite, to me a mild Lakeland with good underlying tobaccos. The florals in it are a bit less strong than the scents in Bob's or Louisiana Flake (both of which I also like). Glengarry's scents are different but also fairly mild for a GH Lakeland. Rum flake was too sweet for me.

Coniston was ok, if stronger scented than the above, as was the Scotch Mixture. Kendal Flake is just a plain strong dark tobacco; but Revor Plug is at least as strong, and that one I liked much better. I wasn't thrilled by the Broken Scotch Cake, but in general VAs don't do much for me.
Revor Plug is one of my staples. When I can get it........heh.......

Don't get any of the floral Lakeland character in this. Just strong smoky goodness.

Not a fan of the soapy Lakeland stuff.

Cheers,

RR

Conniston Cut Plug unscented is outstanding!

Ditto Curly Cut Regular.

Kendal Kentucky tastes fabulous but is cut for cigarettes, IMHO. I need to get some papers.....

Dark plug is powerful but wonderful.

Brown Pigtail, amazing.

I definitely like best brown 2, either I can't remember trying any other ones or I just havent, either way I probably should get some others

:lol!:

You've gravitated toward the heaviest end of the tobacco spectrum while I've drifted to the lightest, most subtle end of it.

Bulldozer & diaphanous.

People are too funny for words 8)

:face:

Ive only tried Bobs choco flake and it's pretty good. I have an order of 4 ounces of bulk brown uncented on the way from 4 noggins.

Love most of the G&H products I have tried. I can take or leave their Balkan Mixture, but I do quite enjoy their VA offerings as well as their darker tobacco flakes.

I agree with Dr. T, Grasmere Flake is an incredible scented tobacco. The balance that is struck between the scent and the tobacco flavors is superb. I also feel this is achieved nicely with Scotch Flake Aromatic, Brown Flake Scented and Ennerdale Flake. I have yet to smoke a scented G&H baccy that I didn't enjoy. I smoke the scented varieties is a dedicated cob.

Bob's Chocolate & Rum Flake are delicious, but I do enjoy a sweet flavored smoke from time to time. Both of these represent the kind of smoke that's sweet in a tobacco way rather than a typical cased American aromatic preparation. Speaking of which G&H's American style aro's are dang good too, & I have very little love for straight Cavs.

Dark Flake, Bosun Cut Plug, Dark Birdseye & Coniston Cut Plug are great stout smokes. I was smoking a fair amount of MacBaren Old Dark Fired. Around this time Slide sent me some G&H Dark Flake. I think this is what MacBaren was trying to mimic with ODF. Dark Flake is a far superior product.

Looking forward to the arrival of the group buy Brown Piggy order. :)

I like several of them, Dark Flake Unscented, Dark Birdseye, Kendal Kentucky, Coniston Cut Plug among them. Be aware their definition of unscented is cased, just not topped. The scented versions are cased and topped.

One G&H baccy that rarely gets a mention is their frankly awesome 'Mixture No# 5', also known as 'Black and Brown'. This is the stuff that totally got me into pipe smoking, and after fully committing to the hobby, I picked up on all the usual suspects (Dunhill Flake, Royal Yacht, Golden Sliced, Bull's Eye, PUF etc. etc.). I very recently revisited No#5, and I'd forgotten what a truly wonderful smoke is waiting in the pack. Straight up mix of Virginia and Black Cavendish, a decent hit of N, creamy and cool and a splendid change of pace. Some have commented that this is slightly 'boring', but no, not for old henwrench. If any of you Brothers see some anywhere, I highly recommend you grab a wee 25g pack to test drive. Needs a good bit o' drying, but well worth the effort....

I've only tried a few tobaccos from G&H's lengthy and eclectic list. I really enjoy their Brown Flake unscented, a great virginia/burley flake with a pinch of their magnificent dark fired leaf added in. It has just a hint of Lakeland in the flavor which I enjoy in smaller doses. Dark Flake is phenominal, unfortunately I've become quite the nicotine wimp in the past few months. I've also tried Dark Birdseye and Coniston Cut Plug which are both big, bold tobaccos that are not for the faint of heart! I am faint of heart both literally and figuratively these days so I sadly have to abstain from both of those. Tis a shame...

unfortunately I've become quite the nicotine wimp in the past few months
That's one reason why people in years past made so many small pipes (and occasionally make them today).

When a little goes a long way, just smoke a little ;)

:face:

Amen to that Yak. The perfect GH & co pipe is a group 2 or 3. Was then, still is.

Puff Daddy":fnmgzl6r said:
Amen to that Yak. The perfect GH & co pipe is a group 2 or 3. Was then, still is.
Yep. I smoke Dark Flake and Dark Birdseye in a Peterson Barrell. I smoke 1792 and Coniston CP in a MM Legend and the rest of the lower powered scented stuff in a MM Country Gentleman.

With Kid's Gloves even the ropes are quite enjoyable without running too much risk at feeling punch drunk afterwards.

I like a lot of these blends because they are quite flavorful, a little goes a long ways, and they do force you to slow things down a bit, some more than others of course.

Indeed. I have a small sub collection of pipes that are small...just for the power plugs, flakes, twists, etc.

I am in a rapidly disappearing little bit of heaven...polishing off the end of some 3 - 4 yr. old Dark Flake. It's at the absolutely ideal moisture level...kind of feels like mostly dried shredded leather, still slightly flexible, so that it doesn't break when you bend it...but close. That's when it smokes the best and coolest. And the age has mellowed it so the sharpness has fallen off a little. Absolutely astounding smoke.

That's why when I buy twist I go for the Sweet Rum or Sweet Whisky. They are not 'sweet' by any normal sense...the flavoring just barely takes the edge off the regular brown #2 taste. For whatever reason I think the Brown Bogie-Pigtail (Happy Bogie) is also a little less sharp...better tasting.

With these ubber strong items, a sparkling clean pipe is essential to start any smoking session. But I've smoked several bowls in a row with no flavor issues from the accumulating stuff in the pipe. I think that smoking it ultra dry helps with that.

So, aside from all that, and from both sides of the family there is:

St. James & Louisiana Flake...both good...the one's with Perique.
Coniston Cut Plug...a classic straight flake.
Grasmere Flake...a hard to find treasure.
Glengarry Flake...to me, the best of the lightly scented Lakelands.

Again, more than drying these 'a bit' - I suggest significant drying for the best performance.