GBD 9242 Restored (#1 Holy Grail)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
Well, I've had one heck of a June and July for pipes (and life events). I was able to acquire several pipes on my "Holy Grail" list, including pieces that I wasn't sure were really attainable. The GBD 9242 has been at the top of that list for years, but one shows up maybe every 18 months and in the past, have sold for crazy money. I got lucky this week with a tired looking New Standard 9242 that was listed. The pictures were fuzzy and the bowl top looked pretty bad. Given their rarity, there was no way I could pass this one up. There were hopeful signs that a decent pipe was hiding in those fuzzy pictures: stem & button looked great, bowl beading was perfect. It had plenty of dings and marks that would take some work.

I detailed the restoration work on Steve Laug's "Reborn Pipes" blog:
http://rebornpipes.com/2014/07/12/gbd-9242-1-holy-grail-restored/

Here's the pipe as I started:

gbd_9242_ns_before.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_before-5.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_before-2.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_before-1.jpg

And the finished pipe.

gbd_9242_ns_gallery.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-6.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-7.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-5.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-8.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-9.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-10.jpg

And, finally, a comparison shot with my GBD 9438 New Standard. The 9242 is a full 10 grams lighter at 45 grams and those curves really make the pipe. This shape really captivates me and this morning, it hit me as to why. One of my favorite attributes of a woman (besides her mind) is this profile. To me, this is also what makes the 9242 the shape it is.

gbd_9242_ns_finished-1.jpg

Stunning looking job. She's a beauty, I'm sure you will enjoy her.

All of my "Holy Grail" pipes go on the every-crowding, top shelf of my cabinet. They all have their own "Scottie" theme pipe stands. I just snagged this worn little Scottie, which was hold the 9242.

That IS one DAMN FINE looking Rhoddie and once again, a wonderful job on the resto !!! :cheers: Just out of curiosity, Pre-Codigan or Codigan production? Doesn't really make a difference to me but I know GBD collectors tend to seperate 'em this way  :twisted:

Absolutely gorgeous Alan. The pipe is nice too  :cheers: 

monbla256":28nyeyag said:
That IS one DAMN FINE looking Rhoddie and once again, a wonderful job on the resto !!! :cheers: Just out of curiosity, Pre-Codigan or Codigan production? Doesn't really make a difference to me but I know GBD collectors tend to seperate 'em this way  :twisted:
Good question: The straight line "London, England" denotes a Pre-Cadogan era pipe. Cadogan era pipes, made after 1982, use the circle: "Made in London England" stamp.

That's gorgeous Al and it cleaned up very well indeed, locing the pipe stand you picked up for it, very cute.  :cheers: :sunny: 

juanmedusa":m7lwl6ti said:
That rim came out stunning.
Here, here! I could not agree more, fantastic job on cleaning that rim, Al. I never seem to be able to get the tar to cooperate and clean up to the extent of the results you achieved there.

Enjoy that beauty!

Lou

I have a Rogers that was my grandfathers that same shape, its a very comfortable fit. Yours is beautiful. Unfortunately I dropped mine and the stem shattered.

Thanks guys. Getting the tar off really isn't that challenging. There were some dings hiding under that layer of crud. I popped some, but not all out with some steam. The pipe does smoke quite well and the weight is right in my sweet spot at 48 grams. An instant favorite on my racks.

That is a nice restoration Riff. What other pipes are on your list?

Interesting comparison to the curves of a woman too. I agree whole heartedly and as I consider my own favorites they all have that nice sensual curvature.

I've noticed your MGB in the avatar. A '74? I had a '67 'BGT and a '69 'B...sold them for college tuition 38 years ago and regretted it ever since!

beeman86":w1fwm4f2 said:
That is a nice restoration Riff. What other pipes are on your list?
Not too many others:
- Dunhill CK
- Castello 54
- Comoys 284
- Savinelli 320 Guibeleo D'Oro

Interesting comparison to the curves of a woman too. I agree whole heartedly and as I consider my own favorites they all have that nice sensual curvature.

I've noticed your MGB in the avatar. A '74? I had a '67 'BGT and a '69 'B...sold them for college tuition 38 years ago and regretted it ever since!  
That is a '79 MGB and thanks!