GBD - from unsmokable to excellent

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I bought a NOS GBD Shoreline pot about 3 years ago. Lovely big pipe, 6¼inch long, black sandblasted, with the brass oval on the stem. Beautiful pipe but a bad smoker. It gurgled and well, it just wasn't a good smoker. It was sitting in my rack, just taking up space. I hardly ever smoked it and it was still like new.

So today I decided to do something about it. The airhole through the shank was a shade over 3mm. I like an open draw, so I opened it up to 4mm. My idea was that, if the pipe was spoiled, I will just give it to someone or put it in the wastebin. No big loss.

And now I have a brand new, excellent smoker  :cheers: :bounce: :cheers:  This is now the 4th pipe I've altered in such a way, everytime with positive results.

I'm a happy chappie  :lol!: 

Yes, that sounds about right. I have often wondered why some estate pipes I have picked up were offered for sale. Quite a few times the air hole is either way too small or almost completely blocked with stuff. How was the pipe ever smoked at all? I have to assume that the seller thought the pipe was junk as a result and decided to foist it off on someone else. A quick ream with that attachment thingy on a clean-n-ream remedies the lack of a draw, and all is well. I think it's about 4 mm. (Too lazy to mike it right now.)