GBD International 58440

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I have a smallish GBD International bent bulldog with the number 58440 on the right hand side of the shank. It seems to be quite old and I had to replace the stem because it was all chewed up. The number seems odd to me because it usually is 4 digits at most.

I will appreciate any feedback on this excellent smoker which was given to me by a friend.

The last digit could designate the specific market the pipe was intended for. I know many GBDs distributed in Europe have a "1" tacked onto the end of the shape code. Maybe "0" designated South Africa? Maybe some GBD collectors will chime in.

Can you post some pictures, including shots of the nomenclature? I've never seen a five-digit GBD. The 1930's era pipes frequently have a RXXXX shape stamp.

Here's a pic of one we just sold at Blue Room Briars. The number stamp was 94821. I bought this one and one other from a gent across the pond.

riff raff":pd6wwckk said:
Can you post some pictures, including shots of the nomenclature? I've never seen a five-digit GBD.  The 1930's era pipes frequently have a RXXXX shape stamp.  
Nomenclature is only visible under magnifying glass and won't show up on a photo. :cry:

SpeedyPete":ktoucelo said:
riff raff":ktoucelo said:
Can you post some pictures, including shots of the nomenclature? I've never seen a five-digit GBD.  The 1930's era pipes frequently have a RXXXX shape stamp.  
Nomenclature is only visible under magnifying glass and won't show up on a photo. :cry:
What does it read?