GBD Lavisse pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojtekpastuch

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just bought four nice GBD pipes. All of them are marked GBD New Era, shape number and L.Lavisse Paris. From I found (basically nothing, just a couple of old ebay listings) I understand that L.Lavisse of Paris was a tobacconist who had pipes made by some companies (also meerschaum) and marked with his name for his shop.
Now my question is when did this robacconist work? When did it close? I'd like to know it to help me date these pipes. The meerschaum ones I saw were pretty old so I guess it was one of the old-school tobacconists.
Thanks for any help :)

I posted the same on pipes.net 'cause I don't think that's an obvious question so if I get an answer there I'll share it with you BOBs :)

i don't know about those particular GBD's, but i do know GBD made pipes for a few different stores. i have a late 60's/early 70's GBD 1/8 bent brandy made for The Smoker that's a primo smoke. it sounds like yours should be earlier than that, increasing the chances that it'll be a good smoker. i'm interested to hear the answers too.

I just wanted to update you on what I've found out about these pipes......... Nothing :lol: Not even the people on the french group Fumeurs de Pipe have heard about the L.Lavisse tobacconist. Actually it makes me quite happy 'cause I like to think it means it's out of business for a long time so the pipes are pretty old. Only a couple of days ago I have managed to get them properly cleaned up (they were a total mess :( ) and today I smoked the first bowl out of my billiard. Wow, it's absolutely delicious! The chamber was terribly uneven and burnt in places, I struggled a lot to make it smokeable but I really love it. I think the pipes have't been smoked for a long time because the only odd flavor I got was a smell of old wood- not exactly pleasant but a really interesting one, kinda like furniture in the attic, just very old wood.
So to sum up I have no idea when were they made but they sure taste great :D