Genocide or smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max1a

Reaction score
Two decades of genocide that is STILL occuring in Northern Uganda, and this is what they are concerned with. Has the the whole damned world gone NUTS?

Government urged to implement anti-smoking laws
Published in: Legalbrief Africa
Date: Mon 02 June 2008
Category: Uganda
Issue No: 283

Anti-smoking activists have urged the Ugandan Government to enforce the law that prohibits smoking in public places.

This, they said, would stop deaths and other ill-health related to tobacco consumption and exposure to second-hand smoke. Petitioning the Speaker of Parliament over the increasing rate of smoking in the country, the Tobacco or Health Forum, a local anti-smoking association, decried the failure by concerned authorities to implement the 2004 legislation on smoking. According to a Sunday Vision report, the law calls for a fine of not less than $11 000 and not more than $58 000 for a person convicted of smoking in a public transport vehicle or any other public place.

Of course you notice it doesn't say where the Anti-smoking activists are from! I am pretty sure they are not from Uganda!

http://www.sundayvision.co.ug/detail.php?mainNewsCategoryId=7&newsCategoryId=125&newsId=630960

Of course you notice it doesn't say where the Anti-smoking activists are from! I am pretty sure they are not from Uganda!

"That is, native born Ugandans" Alot of Europeans still in that part of Africa you know!

And here's one old, unredeemable settler. This is typical of African governments: they love to legislate loftily, police the soft targets, ignore the brutal, indulge the corrupt & fail to comprehend the true essence of civilised society. Yet Africans, for all their savagery, can be the warmest & most hospitable people on the planet. Such is the dichotomous nature of the Dark Continent.

That's almost laughable. Not the genocide-antismoking point,the Europeans are to blame point.
Contrary to the thought, its not always the white mans fault that the entire world is screwed up.

As for the 'Not native born' comment. I suppose I'm not a native born Kentuckian because if you go back far enough you can trace at least part of my roots to Europe.
Imagine that, I'm not American, I'm European.

I agree with you Muddler, well said. I spent a great deal of time in Africa before retiring from government service. I know from my own dealings with most Africans, white or black that the question of "smoking related health risks" is the least of their worries. AIDS, Poverty and just a general sense of dispair concerning the future comes to mind. I think they are taking their que from forces outside the general populace.

Puros, I personally think we should all take up our little niche. You know "Near Sighted Americans", "Grey Haired Americans", "Have-to-walk to the end of my driveway to get my mail Americans", "Mustached Americans". The list could be endless! Then we could all join into our individual little groups of like minded people and force others to give up their personal liberties to satifiy our desires. Yeah, like the Anti-smokers!! :lol!: