GERMAIN

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
So...
How the heck does one come across anything by J.F. Germain/Esoterica? I’ve never seen it in any Tobacconist/shop I’ve been to. Is it strictly something you fellas order online? Is there a dark alley that I’m supposed to go to meet a shady looking man with a Penzance-lined trench coat? Is there a treasure chest buried beneath the sands of Jamaica filled with tins of Medium Flake? Is there a member with access to an olive colored crate in A secret base in Nevada with black lettering across the side reading, “Stone Haven”? Is it something that old timers had such access to, that they would literally use a tin of Pembroke as a door wedge in the summer, but has since disappeared, leaving new-ish pipe smokers with nothing but stories and old timers with no door wedge?!?
I GOTTA KNOW!!!
Zach

For me it's been a mix of right place at the right time, and actively hunting for it. I've had some success with private sellers offering it up in the Reddit "pipetobaccomarket" feed. Also, I've placed myself on the "notify me when it becomes available" with several online shops. The only problem is that you have to respond quickly as it goes fast, wherever it turns up. Anything in particular you're looking for?

Medium Flake is the most accessible, gotta order it from a German shop though. The rest is luck.

I do my best to refrain from purchasing online, therefore the waiting list would just make me envious with no relief.
I actually had one tobacconist laugh at me when asking about it...
I’m always interested in trying new tobaccos, but the ones that scream at me are Penzance, Stonehaven, Dunbar, And Tillbury.
This coming week my wife and I will be going on a mini vacation and I will be stopping at three tobacconists I’ve never been to, so hopefully something will come up. Paul’s Pipe Shop is one of them, and being a bit of a famous store gives me high hopes! I’ll probably just face laughter again. :p
Zach

I feel your pain. Timing and good will from others are the dealer's choice. Let me dig around a bit.

That’s what I’m gathering! Does anyone know if it’s more readily available across the pond? I’ve heard rumors...
Zach

Germain's is readily available in the UK, but that is where it's made.

Ah. So they get to sit about all day, munching biscuits and smoking delicious mythical tobaccos.
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":snmxfrs2 said:
Ah. So they get to sit about all day, munching biscuits and smoking delicious mythical tobaccos.
Zach
Pretty much. Only problem is that there are restrictions for retailers in the US sending tobacco to the US (or perhaps its and issue with credit card payments). Don't know for sure. There are none that I have found that will ship it here.

GuitarMyFriend":xc2xg2og said:
That seems odd. Or downright unfair... one of the two.
Probably both!

I know that certain credit card companies have adopted policies restricting tobacco purchases. Most notably in the EU.

One of our forum members used to run a Germain group buy, I forget who the retailer was, but I believe the shop was outside the UK, German or Danish perhaps.

Finding the Esoterica stuff takes some timing. I know that some folks have stopped signing up for one time alerts from the big pants e-tailers, but I find them to be a useful barometer for telling when the tobacco is hitting the market and could potentially be appearing in smaller shops. Then you know it's time to pick up the phone, afterall there's a lot more out there than what SP, P&C and 4noggins receive.

I remember walking into our local B&M 8-9 years ago and their bulk jars were filled with Tilbury, Stonehaven, Penzance, Margate, Pembroke, Dunbar, Dorchester, And So to Bed, Blackpool & Ramsgate. I used to buy 1-2 ounces at a time and return several months later to buy more. Always in stock, although 6 bucks an ounce. I remember scoffing at the price too. Times have changed...:p

Be warned brother, it may ruin you for other tobaccos for a long time. The only English etailer i know of that takes visa and ships to the states still is EACarey.co.uk. Their selection isnt great and doesnt have anything from Germaine but you might find something you'll enjoy. Their house blends are done up for them
by one or both of the houses of Gawith so great quality stuff. They have a Squadron Leader knock off and Best Brown Flake with vanilla added to it. Personally I find their Dark Flake No 7 to be a real treat. I wish you luck in your search.

Jim

I've stopped hunting for this tobacco because it simply isn't worth the while. Period

SpeedyPete":6jkhrj0x said:
I've stopped hunting for this tobacco because it simply isn't worth the while. Period
Why’s that?

And Huffelpuff, thanks for the warning!

Some folks have sold their soul to the shadowy consortium that controls the ebb and flow and distribution from J.F. Germain & Son, Jersey, Channel Islands, Great Britain.  Have you tried any of their blends, or is subliminal TAD haunting your consciousness on all levels?  I'm glad you've sent a plea to the Esoterica/Germain hotline, and possibly your salvation from your agony, or from the compromise that ensues by dealing in the dark seamy underside of the tobacco world.  Let us know how you fare on the vacation phase of your pilgrimage, and perhaps on your return, providence will prevail.  Until then, a safe journey.

Lesath":1plkqxoo said:
Some folks have sold their soul to the shadowy consortium that controls the ebb and flow and distribution from J.F. Germain & Son, Jersey, Channel Islands, Great Britain.  Have you tried any of their blends, or is subliminal TAD haunting your consciousness on all levels?  I'm glad you've sent a plea to the Esoterica/Germain hotline, and possibly your salvation from your agony, or from the compromise that ensues by dealing in the dark seamy underside of the tobacco world.  Let us know how you fare on the vacation phase of your pilgrimage, and perhaps on your return, providence will prevail.  Until then, a safe journey.
Lesath makes a good point.

Cheers,

RR

Lesath":0ydw2tcn said:

Oh how I wish I had been in the same room as one of their blends. It’s definately the subliminal TAD that’s making me want to stock up on them and lock them away in a safe, but it’s curiosity, and a sudden change in palate, that makes me want to try them. I have to say, your post has frightened me. I was unaware there was going to be such internal pain and anguish involved in debunking these Tobacco-myths. Maybe I should just stay home...

I reached out via email to several pipe tobacco retailers, and ended up getting lucky a lot with Esoterica.