Germain's Balkan Sobraine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derlict311

Reaction score
I felt like I won the lottery when I swung by an old tobacco shop and saw ten or so tins of Germain's Balkan Sobraine. "Finally, I get to see what all the talking heads are raving about!!" :cheers: I picked up one tin, just in case it was not my cup of tea (usually will pass on Balkans in general). Tremendous! :bounce: The whole experience last week was sublime and the smell of it was to die for. I went back to pick up three more tins.

I've done a lot of reading about BS's Original Blend and the masses are split to whether there is anything that compares. Black House is one I have bought a few tins of that is nothing near as good (even thought I liked it in a different way). Germain's Balkan Sobraine is very, very good. I put it up there on the top shelf with anything I have ever smoked.

I look forward to thoughts on Germain's Balkan Sobraine or anything related to the swirl of hype that surrounds this magical blend. Happy puffin'!

So far the urge to track this one down hasn't hit me, but you've piqued my interests. Have you smoked Blue Mountain? I find that its similar to Black House, but I prefer it to Black House ever so slightly. If BS is similar to either, I think I will be content to let it pass by, but if its significantly different I may just seek this one out after all.

No, I haven't tried Blue Mountain...yet. It would be interesting to see how it compares to Black House and Germain's BS. Right now, I just can't get enough of BS, partly because I sense the potential when it ages. I understand that Germain somehow got the patent and the original recipe?? Is this so? A fine recreation of a historic blend.

Great read regarding this: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/balkan-sobriety/

Greg makes a wonderful point: the "original" recipe changed so many times, it's tough to say what's right and what isn't!

Anyway, I have a few tins of the new blend but I haven't popped them yet. I'm holding off until I get a few other tins/jars/baggies finished. I do enjoy, greatly, Balkan Sasieni, Blue Mountain and Black House so if the new Sobranie is even in that league, I'll be happy.

Blue Mountain And Black House are an attempt to come close to BS in the black can, I forget the number. This other GBS is close to the BS white. The black and white were two different blends. I hope I got it right. Good nite. :sunny:

loneredtree":3hyuy76i said:
Blue Mountain And Black House are an attempt to come close to BS in the black can, I forget the number. This other GBS is close to the BS white. The black and white were two different blends. I hope I got it right. Good nite. :sunny:
You are totally correct. The BS White is a much less intense Latakia blend. So many smokers are all hyped about the long gone BS 759 (black label) blend that there are endless recipes out there trying to recreate it.
I for one just love the BS white label that Germain is blending and wish they would market it in bulk. As a rule I love most of Germain's blends anyway, especially the Exotique blend made for Smokers Haven in Columbus OH.

After reading the Pease article that szyzk linked up, I'm a bit more educated on the subject but it got complicated real quick. I gather that there were several different attempts to tweak or recreate the Original blend only to leave the fans in different clubs for their favorite era. I just want one bowl so I can check it off my bucket list. Preferrably pre-1980. **Holding my breath**

derlict311":mi453fy0 said:
After reading the Pease article that szyzk linked up, I'm a bit more educated on the subject but it got complicated real quick. I gather that there were several different attempts to tweak or recreate the Original blend only to leave the fans in different clubs for their favorite era. I just want one bowl so I can check it off my bucket list. Preferrably pre-1980. **Holding my breath**
I agree! One bowl with an idea of when it was produced so that I at least had a frame of reference!