Germains tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the Germains line of tinned tobacco? A friend passing through Portugal is asking.That's all that is available at the one and only store in that sector, and he's almost out of his Frog Morton.

Germain King Charles Mixture is the only one I've tried yet.
It was a 2004 tin that Kirk Bosi included with a pipe I bought. I liked it a lot.
After I tried it, I bought a tin of Eighteen Twenty and Special Latakia Flake.
I haven't opened them yet, though.

Even' All I enjoy Germaine's Perique Mix., Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

Special Latakia Flake is pretty good stuff. Its not the same as Penzance, but a good alternative....

JF Germains has a great line of tobacco. If you like aromatics, Mixture No. 7 is very good (dry to the touch and easy burning) and is not available in the US.

If you like virginias, try the Medium Flake: it has a great honest-to-goodness tobacco flavor, even if it lacks sweetness. I do not particularly like the Brown Flake or the Perique Mixture: they're not bad, but they are only average-tasting.

In the Latakia group, my favorite is the Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture. It tastes like if it has some sort of flavoring that, in my opinion, is detrimental and precludes the full enjoyment of the Latakia. Other than that, it is very high quality tobacco and is well worth as an occasional change of pace. Eighteen Twenty is good, but its flavor is not strong enough for me (but it may be for you). The same with King Charles. I also recommend the Special Latakia Flake: at first it was a bit of a disappointment because I was expecting something like Bengal Slices or Esoterica’s Penzance. However, it quickly grew on me and became one of my favorites.

P.S.- Many shops sell pipe tobacco in Portugal, but it's mostly aromatics in foil pouches. You need to look hard for decent tinned tobacco, and good luck to you if you are outside of Lisbon.

I generally like the brand, but I'll generalize the statement above: "Royal Jersey" = some odd topping. I would avoid those.

Buddy

Germain makes the Imported English blends for Smokers' Haven that I smoke--Our Best Blend, Exotique, etc. They're well blended. I wouldn't hestitate to buy one of their own blends.

I thought I'd reached nirvana when I smoked my first tin of Royal Jersey Perique; ditto Haddos. Second tin of each; so-so.

I however would respectfully disagree with Mr. Springman: "Royal Jersey = some odd topping"- not so with their Perique. Almost all blends have something on them (GLP), but their Perique is as minimally topped as many other "natural" blends.

I just popped a tin of Brown Flake... first impressions... very light and monochromatic. But still it is quite a nice smoke.