Getting better??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
I am finding that my tongue isn't really getting bid ( but it does seem to fell chaffed after several hours of smoking..is this "fatigue"?), my pipes are staying lit longer, my smokes are cooler...

Yet I cannot put my finger on what i am doing differently..is this normal? Either way i am enjoying the hobby much more now..and still learning.
Thanks guys, I know it has a LOT to do with your help!

Davey

Perhaps a bit too many bowls of a full flavored blend. Maybe cut back or mix it up with something milder. :shock: Yes, I know. Some open a tin and that's all they smoke until it's gone. But maybe a bowl less will help.

Also, look at what you might be drinking. It is said that alcohol may not be the best to drink when smoking. I like coffee and tea.

' Yes I know." LOL

I will try that. As far as drinking I mostly have a cup of tepid tea or somehting cold.

Will Va's tend to fatigue more quickly the tongue than English?

Davey":loprfi6z said:
' Yes I know." LOL

I will try that. As far as drinking I mostly have a cup of tepid tea or somehting cold.

Will Va's tend to fatigue more quickly the tongue than English?
I don't think so. Virginia tobaccos form the basis for many English blends. I tend to think milder when referring to this type of thing happening. Less spicy.

Ahhh, got it.

I was coming from the persp-ective of more sugar content ( such as a straight VA) perhaps being more apt to fatigue the tongue more? Got it. Thanks Carlos.

signing off for now...

Hi Davey.
If your getting tongue bite,We all do at times.If your tabocco is to moist then let it dry for like 5 minutes before packing it.Also pack your pipe loose it should feel springy.And most of all smoke slow.The pipe should be relaxing and enjoyable.

Alan.

Thanks fells. Not so much bite ( I don't notice anyhing actually on m y tonguw like I did in the beginning) just a bit sore if this makes sense?

Good info guys..

My tongue burnout comes mostly from the steam in the smoke. Much less noticeable when I smoke my Kirstens, as they seem to remove a lot of the moisture and cool the smoke quite a bit. Once I left it out overnight on a very cold night and when I lit it up the following morning, I got frostbite on my tongue! :mrgreen:

Natch

Davey,

Just start smoking Walnut all the time and all your troubles will be over, plus you will be thoroughly satisfied with every other aspect of the smoking experience!

Davey, I typically smoke blends with latakia in them because I do not have a sophisticated palate. My palate is so unsophisticated it is downright ignorant. I'm telling you this not because I'm proud, but because VA wears the hell out of my tongue. I try hard to smoke and get some flavor out of it. I smoke it hot and fast. I've had everything from singed and smoking tongue to probably what you are describing as a sore tongue.

A couple things for you to try. Like was said above, make sure the VA is not moist. I talking dry some out all the way. I've got a small lamp that I've taken some tobacco on a piece of paper and rested it on the lampshade (bulb on, of course) to dry it out. I've also just broken up some tobacco and let it sit for a couple days. Point is, get you some dry VA and smoke it slooowly. Try and taste the different flavors. Smack it around in your mouth. I'm not suggesting you'll actually be able to notice the piquant flavor of hickory nuts or sage grass, but you might notice you didn't hurt your tongue as much.

If all else fails, get some Frog Morton and sit back for a full-flavored smoke. You won't have to try to find the flavor in that.

And if that fails, like Mark says, there is always Walnut.

Don't give up. Have fun. Smoke what you like.

showme

Davey, I have a can of Gregory Pease's Embarcadero, which is probably 95% Virginia. I've left it open a total of six full days, spread over a couple of weeks. It's finally getting dry enough to smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Mind you, it's not crinkly or mummy-dust. It's still flexible, but just barely.

The first bowlful, from the freshly opened can, was enough to raise blisters on my tongue. But now it's dried out enough to be utterly delightful.

MC,

This is encouraging to know. I tried lighting up today and couldn't taste much..tongue just too tired.

Davey":ta7qyen0 said:
MC,

This is encouraging to know. I tried lighting up today and couldn't taste much..tongue just too tired.

Give it a rest. Great thing about pipe smoking. If you feel you have to, you can always carry a empty, or loaded and unlit pipe around in your mouth if you have to. Or just not smoke for a day or two.

Carlos!

LMAO...I did just that last night!! Ok I am officially hooked!