Getting ready to walk the rope

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
I've tried so many if not all cuts of tobacco. I like plugs and flakes as well as ribbons, and cant do cubes. The past two months I have been able to have consistently pleasant smoking sessions where the pipe no longer gets HOT and it doesn't take much effort to keep it lit.

I've decided that I would like to venture into the old tradition of rope tobacco. My finances however have been tight and I can't simply dive into it. I have read so far that G&H offer the best and most variant supply of rope tobacco, next to SG. However, I'm not quite sure which to try and who to buy from. TR helps but most of them sound good. Smokingpipes has 1oz samples but it's sti costly and I can only try 2. I like sweet tobaccos, like FVF and Louisiana Flake.

4noggins seems to have a good selection as well, are they reliable?

Also how much is a good amount to buy. I look at the pics they have but many oz is that. I know ropes are dense but I'd like to feel like I bought a good amount and nit just half a stick if Twix.

If anyone willing to send over some samples I'd be happy to pay for that too

thanks

I have tried a few ropes so far - Brown #4, Happy Brown Bogie, Black Irish X - all have a strong heavy cigar like taste - the Bogie seemed to have a lakeland essence (may have been ghosting) - there may be some sweetness, but in no way a sweet smoke.

I have G&H maple and rum ropes on the way - I will let you know if they differ at all

I like the heavy satisfying blow that a rope delivers - a time or two a week is enough for me at this point.

As far as weight goes - an ounce is a piece about 6 inches long of g&h twists - longer for the bogie (which is much thinner) - shorter for the Gawith ropes (which are the thickest) - but it's still about a tenth of an ounce per bowl.

A pound comes in a nice form, complete with nail to hold it together :)

For brown ropes, I'd recommend GH Brown Bogie and SG Brown #4. BB is the best rope I've had. SG Brown #4 is also good and rather different in its flavor. I frankly didn't find the flavored ropes (rum, whiskey, coconut) very flavorful or very good.

I dislike the black ropes, but if you must...then SG Black XX Rope. As far as I'm concerned, black rope tastes like burnt motor oil.

What's the best way to store ropes for the long haul? Do wide mouth masons work?

Mason Jars are good for any tobacco - ropes and chunks of plug have happy homes in my jars :)

I do like to keep whole 1 pound plugs - lacking a big enough jar they are stored in my coleman cooler in the sealed foil they came in - planning on getting some whole ropes (one pound each) and storing them the same way

I've got nothing to add about the 'baccy, but 4noggins is an excellent place to buy tobacco.

-Andrew

gandalfpc":ug7ehqqt said:
Mason Jars are good for any tobacco - ropes and chunks of plug have happy homes in my jars :)

I do like to keep whole 1 pound plugs - lacking a big enough jar they are stored in my coleman cooler in the sealed foil they came in - planning on getting some whole ropes (one pound each) and storing them the same way
I know the jars are good, but I was refering to whether ropes can fit into them or what type of jar is better?
Will the rope break if I try to twist it into a pint sized mason or should I get a wide mouth half-pint?

Thinner ropes (brown bogie) can be folded easily - the thicker ones will likely need to be cut into pieces about as tall as the jar, although you can easily get longer U shaped pieces into larger jars, likely at least a quart sized jar...

bentbulldog":473aohjb said:
I know the jars are good, but I was refering to whether ropes can fit into them or what type of jar is better?
Will the rope break if I try to twist it into a pint sized mason or should I get a wide mouth half-pint?
I prefer the wide-mouth for all my bulk, especially rope or plugs.

The ropes should not break -- they should never be that dry. I usually coil them inside the jar so that it forms a cylinder along the inside of the jar sides. Then I fill the center vertically with any remaining pieces cut to length, as Gandalf said.

There's no particular reason I do that except for aesthetics; I like to look through the glass and see that nice spiral. :)

GH brown rope, the Brown Irish X, Happy Brown Bogie and Brown Pigtail, are by far more potent than Gawith rope. The Irish X and Pigtail have about the same amount of flavor while the Bogie out-shines both. A real pleasure to smoke it.

I buy from either Mars or Smokingpipes; the latter is the cheapest, as they are for most tobacco. Buy two ozs if you can as brown rope isn't for everyone but this amount should give you a good idea whether to buy more.

Black rope is good but contains a flavor element similar to machine oil. If finances are slim it can wait.

The black ropes I like but they are very oily. If you have ever smoked cigars, a black is more like a Maduro whereas the browns are more like a good Conneticut wrapper. Motor oil I do not get but they are different. Rich at 4Noggins is a very good guy to deal with and you will have no problems.

LOL, I smoked a rope for the first time a few weeks ago. IMO, I would store the rope in the garbage :D

You can store it at my house anytime! You can call me garbage. (been called a lot worse)

Strongirish":fs0dxdvn said:
You can store it at my house anytime! You can call me garbage. (been called a lot worse)
LOL, if I am ever gifted some rope, it's going straight to you :D

I have only seen the rope one time from my B&M. It was something like, Samual Gawith, or something, XX. If I get my hands on more, I will hit you up with it.

The nicotine hit that you get from the ropes is substansial to say the
least and they are cigarish.Your wife will chase you outside for sure.

Winslow :sunny: