GH Black Irish X- it's different

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterE

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried this last night for the first time. I have never tried rope tobacco before so it was kind of fun to slice it and prepare it. It has a distinctly sweet smell in the bag. As I sliced little coins from it I found they broke up very nicely and were easy to pack.

It is unlike anything I've smoked before. A very unusual flavor, kind of sweet with a musty quality to it. Very moist, it even hissed in the bowl as it burned- but keeping it lit was no problem.

I was expecting it to be very strong, like it looks, but it continued to have a dark, smoky, sweet flavor through the whole bowl. Kind of made me imagine smoking it on the porch an old cabin in the Ozarks! Hahaha. The vitamin N is definitely there too.

This is definitely not an all day smoke for me, but nonetheless a great change of pace. I'm sure it will change as it dries out a little as well.

Has anyone else tried this?

It has a room note like a cigar,to me it's like a throwback smoke to the days when ships were
wood and men were iron.

Winslow :sunny:

This blend was the only one I ever smoked that I had to put down halfway because I just hated the flavor. I love the Brown Irish though. Apparently, the black rope is the same stuff as the brown, but they soak the tobacco in cooking oil and bake it. I wonder if the oil is where the hissing noise came from that you noted?

Jack Straw":eackona2 said:
This blend was the only one I ever smoked that I had to put down halfway because I just hated the flavor. I love the Brown Irish though. Apparently, the black rope is the same stuff as the brown, but they soak the tobacco in cooking oil and bake it. I wonder if the oil is where the hissing noise came from that you noted?
Wow! If that's true, it would explain a lot. I had a distinct feeling of something very different about it. I liked it nonetheless. I'm motivated to try the Brown now...

If it wasn't strong, you probably were smoking S. Gawith black rope; Gawith's and Gawith-Hoggarth's black ropes, on the surface, are different by their strength, and perhaps more, underneath.

alfredo_buscatti":l3193g64 said:
If it wasn't strong, you probably were smoking S. Gawith black rope; Gawith's and Gawith-Hoggarth's black ropes, on the surface, are different by their strength, and perhaps more, underneath.
I smoked a little more last night.... Good stuff- a little bit goes a long ways though.... :bounce:

I like a small bowl of this every now and then. The first time I smoked it I smoked it in my largest pipe, a Wiley dublin with a huge bowl. I think I astral projected. Now I smoke it in a small squat tomato, and it's nice to enjoy when you want some vitamin N.

I really enjoy this blend - although not for everyday.

I find the taste and strength to be along the lines of Peterson Irish Flake - deep and smokey, quite meaty.

A pound or two in your cellar for enjoying after hearty meals is a good idea for those who like a tobacco that let's you know your smoking it :)

I´ll add that age does wonders for this blend. I recently dug out what I had cellared last summer and gave it a go. Much, much more even tasting. Still strong, but not as overpowering as I remembered it.

Also - pretty sure there is no olive oil added here - olive oil would go rancid in short order - from what I understand it is simply a matter of heat and steam that turns brown rope into black...

I love this tobacco, along with DFU and Brown Irish X (and most the other GH blends) the black sure does have a taste all its own though!

GH Black Rope is one of the few tobaccos which it is hard to appreciate, even if you give it multiple tries.

Digging through the archives I found this thread.

I think E described this tobacco spot on. It's rich, dark, very deep. A little does go a long way. I find Black X very filling and like E said, it has a musty somewhat smokey quality, due to the pressing of the tobacco... I think. It is rather wet, so I let it dry for some time.

Wondering if anyone has mixed Black Rope XX with something?

I've tried the SG brown rope, and it is hard to really appreciate for me, probably because it's hard ot keep lit. I think I like it enough, but I'm not sure I'll stock up on it. I want to try the black rope sometime though, because I do like the DNF that McC does, which is also a stoved tobacco. If that stoved character is in any way similar to a black rope, I might really like that.