GH Glengarry

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Having read so many comments on Lakeland style tobacco I decided to try one to see if it could be equal to or better than a Virginia or VaPer that are my preference of all tobaccos I've smoked in the past. After reading the descriptions of many Lakekands I decided that GH Glengarry Flake held my interest and I ordered two ounces from Mars Cigars and Pipes. My order arrived in three days, complete and without error. As I pointed out in another recent thread my ability to taste all the nuances that Kyle, Yak, and others can detect doesn't exist for me. The taste must be either strong, bold, rich, spicy or hot for me to notice. Please bear this in mind as you read my attempt to describe my experience with this new adventure. Your experiences with this tobacco may reveal stronger characteristics or qualities in greater proportions.

The Glengarry Flake arrived in a small plastic bag and when opened I noticed a floral note that was pleasing. It reminded me of Iris. The floral note was not over powering but definitely detectable. It also smelled like Copenhagen snuff, an aroma that has always fascinated me but never could get used to the taste. The flakes were of a nice brown mottled color and broke apart easily. They didn't seem to be overly moist or too dry so I stuffed some into a Country Gentleman cob and began my journey. It lit easily and remained lit throughout the session. The only relight was after I has laid the pipe down for a few minutes to get a glass of iced tea. It went out while I was getting the tea and relit easily. First impression was of a flowery taste. Could this be the soapy taste others have described when smoking a Lakeland style tobacco? The taste was like that of the odor of Mock Orange which is nothing like the orange fruit. I found this to be very different from anything I've smoked before. I wasn't overwhelmed with pleasure but it wasn't disagreeable either. I found a subtle sweetness that reminded me of Mangoes. That was a nice touch as I'm all about sweet tasting tobacco. Then there was a peppery note. Not as strong as Perique but more on the level of black pepper. If the peppery note had a determinable taste I didn't identify it. I smoked Glengarry in several different pipes: cobs, Savinella, Peterson, Design Berlin, Falcon, and Neerup and different bowl shapes: Apple, Billiard, Dublin, Snifter, Pot, and Author. I checked each pipe after each smoke for evidence of ghosting. I didn't find any. There was never any tongue bite nor was there any dottle found.

In conclusion I found Glengarry Flake to be very pleasurable, different than Virginias and Vapers in a good way, and a tobacco when smoked easily and slowly can transform your day from hectic to relaxed. I found it to be mood altering, slightly sweet tasting with floral undertones, and I could taste the tobacco. The room note was mild and pleasant. This has been added to my regular rotation and I've already ordered more. As I grow older I find myself adopting the "Been there, done that" approach to most things and occurrences that come into my life. It's not deliberate but I suppose it's a natural process of becoming an old geezer. That's why I wrote this review because Glengarry Flake got my attention immediately and has held it. I figure it must be something special if it can do that. Enjoy some.
AJ

AJ, for not being a "taster" like some of us so-called snobs are, that was excellent! :cheers: It seems the only thing that really differs between us is your tongue...it just likes a little more abuse to get some satisfaction than others. :lol:

The "soapy" reference people use is equal to that of Old Lady Knickers, Grandma's Sock Drawer, and other creative nicknames. It's a real love-it-or-hate-it kind of stuff. I can't stand it, but if it's getting you to try more stuff and experience a new thing, hell, that's awesome. There's no shortage of Lakeland appreciators around here, perhaps some of them can lend out a few samples.

Next up: Try some Sam Gawith "1792." :twisted:

Kyle,
Much to the chagrin of the brotherhood I have to admit that once again you're right. It's because of your reviews and the reviews of others that I've been motivated to try other blends. I truly wish I could taste the little nuances in the different tobaccos. I hate missing all the surprises you and others discover. Such is life. I've just been trying Embarcadero as a result of your review and Yak's poetry. Keep writing. Nothing wrong with a little snobbery every now and then. :D :bounce:
AJ

DrT999":449k4zks said:
Kyle Weiss":449k4zks said:
Next up: Try some Sam Gawith "1792." :twisted:
Now that's just cruel, Kyle!
THAT'S my KYLE :cheers: But as regards your recent intro into the world of "old lady's soap" 'bac, it was a GOOD review and makes me think of the attitudes folks have towards those "ketchup" .bacs. Ya love 'em or ya don't. Me I like "ketchup", don't like "old lady's soap" :twisted:

AJ,
Welcome to the Lakeland Lovers Society. LOL
Forget about the 1792 Flake, you've chosen the right one already.
Before you know it you'll be enjoying Ennerdale. Yessireee.
:cheers: :cheers:

Great description of glengarry flake. Its a staple of my rotation. I also enjoy bobs choclate flake. People either love lakelands or absolutely detest them. They are like the tequila of pipe tobaccos