GH Kendal #7 unscented - more of the good stuff.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Just off the back deck after another bowl of this excellent blend. First things first. The constituent tobaccos are: Indian dark air-cured tobacco (35%), Combined with 27% dark-fired leaf and only 38% flue-cured Virginias. I get very little to nothing of anything Lakeland in terms of scenting. I detected the merest smidgen of cocoa. All reviewers thus far are pretty much spread across the board in these regards. In terms of cut...I disagree with most others. My recent bag is definitely not shag. In fact it is a fairly heavy ribbon. It came moist, very packable and eager to light and burn. No bite. My constant sipping didn’t overheat it or change the flavors which are rich and do indeed show cigar notes from time to time. This is touted as being the base blend for other GH items...no surprise. It’s rich enough that even by adding Lakeland scenting the base tobacco would shine through...a hallmark of GH scented Lakelands. Yes, this IS under the radar - but shouldn’t be. Less smoky than Dark Birds Eye it has significant flavor, good manners and a decent hit of N. It should be far more popular. Highly recommend to seasoned puffers of Brit blends especially.

PS: this is NOT Broken Flake #7

Hummm.......I'm wondering if this isn't the same tobacco being offered at EA Carey as Dark Flake No. 7. I know they get a brown flake from SG and have them add vanilla to it and they make no bones about where the flake comes from. I had to order some of their filter papers so I said what the heck lets see. I was shocked as hell that they still ship tobacco to the US.

Jim

Yeah...they are both fine but I have both and if you put one next to the other there is a difference. If you take a REAL shag cut like the Kendal Gold it is very obviously a much finer cut than the ribbon cut of this one. At least it is with the ones Inhave here.