Ghosting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to stop myself from myself, meaning I'm basically trying to stop doing what I usually do and buy a brand new pipe every 39 hours because I want to try to use a new tobacco.

And don't tell me about cobs, I've got 16 of 'em, last count (and use 'em and love 'em all and they make me contract the word "them" for some reason).

Anyway, I've got some older, kinda, billiards and lovats that saw some minimal service being used for VaPers. I've got a bunch of new English andOriental tobaccos I want to try which I have a good feeling about and feel they will slip into a regular smoking routine (I don't rotate).

Now then, this whole mysterious subject of ghosting. Will I have any NOTICEABLE problems smoking the aforementioned blends in these aforementioned pipes? Will the hint of the VaPer(s) detract from the taste of the English and(of) Orientals? Maybe it would be good sense to make sure these new tobaccos I'm introducinig have some Perique and similar Virginias in them, no?

I guess I'm secretly hoping you tell me to go out and buy 4 or 5 brand new pipes, but let's forget about that for now and stick to the original premise.

As always, your help in this matter is most appreciated - S13

I can only speak for myself here, but I don't notice much Latakia ghosting if I happen to load a VaPer dedicated pipe occasionally. But bear in mind, I tend towards pretty light Latakia blends. I also have not noticed ghosting from Oriental blends.

But if you're interested in smoking new and exciting English blends, you most certainly need an English pipe. Perhaps also a Gourd Calabash? With a second meer bowl, just because, y'know?

Yeeeaahh, there's no getting around that new pipe thing, you are 100% correct. Well, you ARE called the wizard, and it ain't for nuthin'!

Thanks for reading my mind and telling it to me straight.

At first, as you haven't smoked these pipes in a while, you will most likely taste the previous tobaccos, but in a more subtle way than if, for example, you had smoked your last pipeful in them a couple days back.
After a few pipefuls, however, the current tobacco you will be smoking will start taking over and ghost the pipes.
Crossovers are common, in fact and not only between different tobacco genres. When you think about it, you smoke a tin of Capstan in a pipe, then you start a tin of Escudo or Dunhill Elizabethan of GL Pease Fillmore, there will be a kind of a crossover. ;)

As much as I love pipes, I think it is absurd to operate from the point that every tobacco would have its own pipe.

I have my rotation of pipes and I have my open tins of tobacco. What pipes are dry? What do i want to smoke?

It's like cooking with an old Weber grill or well seasoned skillet: your personality becomes the background flavor.

Keep them clean enough, and don't stress about things like this.... or just keep enough Carter Hall on hand to deghost them all.

You shouldn't have any ghosting issues going from VaPers to English the other way around might cause problems but not the direction you indicate you're going. So yes you should be good to go with what's on hand. If however you decide you like something well enough you may consider buying something special to smoke it in. Nobody here would fault you for that!

Jim

huffelpuff":9xxyit6c said:
...If however you decide you like something well enough you may consider buying something special to smoke it in. Nobody here would fault you for that!

Jim
:lol: That's saying a lot, considering the tendencies of most of the rogues here. I remember long ago meeting a guy who told me he owned over 300 pipes. I thought he was insane. I owned two pipes at the time, both Dunhills. Now, I don't need a reason to buy another pipe--and I'll bet you don't either. Consider it a special need that requires satisfying. The only thing that bothers me about dedicating pipes to this or that blend or blend type is the fear that the pipe may do better with a type that I didn't select for it.

My SOP is to divide and dedicate pipes into two groups:  those with bowl dimensions suited to Lat and chunky blends (i.e., wide, shallow bowls), and those suited to hot burning VAs and fine ribbons (I.e., tall, narrow bowls). Ghosting is not altogether bad. I have a Dunhill pipe with a Condor ghost and find it a welcome addition.  More of my pipes would have a Condor ghost if I could get my hands on more of it.  

Added: And there are pipes aplenty with bowls that ar neither wide and shallow nor tall and narrow. For these, I smoke whatever fits the moment, or, sometimes, let the pipe show its preference.

Full disclosure: I never have had an especially sensitive palette and it hasn’t improved with age. Pipes = Relaxation for me.

On the other matter, life is short and gets progressively shorter, so I’d say if a new pipe wants to follow you home, let it. (My last step in the buying decision is to peruse my pipe racks and make sure I don’t already own a near duplicate.)

Those lovely stinky floral Brit blends will GHOST a pipe.

Latakia will ghost a pipe.

A meer will not take in a ghost & I’ve heard that Morta is the same.

I think a diet of aros would ghost Briar. I don’t smoke enough of em to really know.

Other than those basics I think straight VA blends should have a dedicated set of pipes. I think you could get away with a VA/Per in there on occasion. Depends on how heavy the Perique ratio is I would think.

I would have another set of dedicated briars for blends that are non- Latakia blends with VA and Turkish (like Izmir). I think these are special and subtle enough to deserve it.

Then there are the hodgepodge blends that are mixtures of stuff like VA, Burley, Cigar Leaf, Perique, Turkish, yadda, yadda, yadda. Like some of the John Patton blends...Darkhorse, Crossroads, Oriental Silk. I think they are kind of apart.

And I think one would be well served by having a special group for Burley and heavily Burley blends. But a little condimental Burley in any of the above is, I think, OK.

And Aromatics off in another part of the kingdom.

Do I do any of the above segregating? Naw...not really. I SHOULD...and I feel bad about it too. But another whiskey usually helps.

Richard Burley":tccnaoyh said:
The only thing that bothers me about dedicating pipes to this or that blend or blend type is the fear that the pipe may do better with a type that I didn't select for it.
BINGO (card 1)

Blackhorse":tccnaoyh said:
But another whiskey usually helps.
BINGO (card 2)

Captura-de-pantalla-24.png

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR