Gilette Regus

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I found a gold tone Gilette Regus safety razor at an antique store for $8 so I picked it up and then stopped by the drug store for a block of Williams Mug Shaving Soap, a brush and some DE blades.

Here is a similar razor on the Bay:  Gilette Regus

I think I may give this a shot tomorrow if I don't chicken out.

Got any advice to keep me from cutting myself to ribbons?

Todd

Back in the day, I used a razor like this with nary a thought about cutting myself at all, let alone to ribbons ... and only when I got a bit less than careful did I ever nick myself with the corner of the blade ... now, if you were going to have at your face and neck with a straight razor, I'd think you had reason for worry, but this was called a safety razor for a reason ... relatively speaking, it's safe ...

Great grab, Todd.

Not much different than saving with a disposable razor. Just go a little slower.

I have this same razor, umm other than do not move it sideways you should be fine...LOL

Just make sure it's screwed in tight at the bottom.
If it get's loose it will bite you hard!
Great find Todd!

Looks a lot like the one my father had and I used for a few years till I got my adj. Gillette 35 years ago. Advice as given but I'd have to add, MAKE SURE YOUR WATER IS  HOT ! and you have a good lather. These two things make using a DE razor so easy !!  :D

I used one of those years ago in fact I have one still in it's Bakelite case.
Nowadays I just use the cheapest plastic throw away razors I can find. No muss no fuss.
Those razors need more care that I wish to do anymore. But, I reckon if you've never used one
before it be interesting to try. If you want to keep it nice, you've gotta remove the razor blade after each use, rinse the razor out and dry both of them and put it back together and back in it box or hanger. Other wise it will rust and or corrode on you and won't give a good shave on top of it.
And that's what I mean by more work then I feel it is worth. Just my lazy two cents. :D 

Ummm.... I do believe Regus is short for Registered U.S.. Unless all those old Stanwells floating around are actually Regno models  :lol: 

It is a ball handle Tech, a good mild razor. I have one.

Puff Daddy":avfmyrfj said:
Ummm.... I do believe Regus is short for Registered U.S.. Unless all those old Stanwells floating around are actually Regno models  :lol: 

Ah! I didn't even catch that but, your so right sir. 8) 

Puff Daddy":plhoi118 said:

:oops:  Obviously I'm no expert on old razors.

It will be fun to give it a shot.

Todd

taharris":bclepqpi said:
Puff Daddy":bclepqpi said:

:oops:   Obviously I'm no expert on old razors.

It will be fun to give it a shot.

Todd
Don't fret sir, no one expected you to be an expert, just take it slow your first time and keep a septic pencil ready. I use to cut the corners of my chin off all the time. LOL!

Nice smooth light strokes, not too short, not too long, not too quick. You'll do just fine.  :) 

Puff Daddy":rhrxvppk said:
Nice smooth light strokes, not too short, not too long, not too quick. You'll do just fine.  :) 
Conversely if you don't do fine you'll know that your strokes were either not light enough, too short, too long, or too quick!

gravel":9b2iysvb said:
Puff Daddy":9b2iysvb said:
Conversely if you don't do fine you'll know that your strokes were either not light enough, too short, too long, or too quick!
Thanks. I feel a lot better now... :tongue: 

Puff Daddy":l365pf7z said:
https://youtu.be/rIrz0PtxwPg

Nice purchase Todd! I was gifted a straight razor at Christmas but my hands tremor so much that at present trying to use would qualify as a suicide attempt.

Fraternally

Jers

Kenneth Williams with some old British double entendre ‘Carry On' humour....

Fraternally

Jers

Well, I gave it a shot this morning.

I lathered up well using hot water and let it soak a bit while I fussed with getting the blade in.

Then I rinsed and lathered up for my first pass - with the grain (down). This didn't take a lot off.

I then lathered up for a second pass - across the grain. Again, not much progress.

My final lather and pass was against the grain (up) and I made some good progress, but a spot check revealed several places that needed more attention. I went over each of those places several times against the grain and did manage to remove all of my whiskers, along with a good deal of skin... :affraid: 

I have a particularly tough beard and have found that I need to go against the grain and use multiple passes with multi-blade cartridge razors. I was hoping that a DE razor would give me a different experience.

Maybe I need a more aggressive razor or blade. The only blades I could find were Drug Mart brand.

Also, the handle is so small that my hand started to cramp up by the third pass. Stupid Carpal Tunnel.

Any suggestions?

Todd