Gilette Regus

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blades make a big difference. You might try to find a sampler of various blades on ebay, I'd look for something that offered Feather blades or Personna meds or labs. These are really sharp and do a good job. There are certainly more agressive razors out there and that might make a lot of difference for you. The Tech you have is pretty mild. I also have a Gillette New long comb, it's it's pretty agressive, almost too agressive.

I agree with Puff, blades make all the difference with wet shaving. Personna blades are great. I recently got my first safety razor a Merkur. The blade the razor came with was not the best, a Merkur Platinum I believe. Anyway, I picked up a box of 100 Personna blades for around 13.00 bucks or so on Amazon. So far I have gotten about 6-7 shaves off one blade. I shave every other day. At this rate I have 2 years worth of razor use for 13.00. Throw in a bit more here and there for a couple tubes of Proraso. Not bad at all. Way less than a decent package of the disposables and canned shave cream, a bit more enjoyable too.

I see there is a Pawn Stars guy TV commercial for safety razors. Must be making a comeback...or made to seem like they're experiencing a comeback. Create hype. Create interest.

Persona blades are well worth a try. Merkur makes several razors with longer handles that you may be able to hold more comfortably.
You may also want to consider getting a tube of Proraso shave cream, it gives a great shave and a tube will last quite a long time.

taharris":gmg5riwe said:
Well, I gave it a shot this morning..............................
Also, the handle is so small that my hand started to cramp up by the third pass.  Stupid Carpal Tunnel.

Any suggestions?

Todd
You could turn yourself a new bigger handle out of lucite or some nice hard wood

If the razor does not give a smooth shave regardless of blades and soap used, I'd put it up on display and get a NEW razor like this Merkur Progress Adj DE razor.

http://bestgroomingtools.com/progress-adjustable-double-edge-razor-merkur-p-186.html

I have an adgustable Gillette that I got in the mid '70s and it's been Great !! Remember, the idea is to get a good SMOOTH shave, not use an antique  :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":l4ubwk5c said:
Remember, the idea is to get a good SMOOTH shave, not use an antique   :twisted: :twisted: 
Ya know, I never thought of it that way. My objective was to experience how shaving used to be done, and using an original piece of equipment was part of the experience. Now it's a challenge to see if I can figure out how to do it right. An unexpected benefit would be to save money in the process.

Todd

To the extent of my knowledge, the Merkur slant-blade is the most aggressive double edge razor out there, and I recommend it. It will cut you if you get careless or shave while drunk or something, due to its very open comb, but it's really nothing to master. I like it because it handles a few days' growth with no problem, a common occurrence with me. I think you can get one with a long handle, which might be helpful with your carpal tunnel. The standard handle is quite short, and for me was more difficult to get used to than the aggressiveness.

This is the model of Gillette Razor that I use (pic is not of mine but one just like it for sale on e-prey) It's refered to as an adj butterfly DE razor due to how the top opens up to load the blades, easy/peasy . The ring below the head has click-stop adj to open or close the space btwn blade and lower bar/comb,. Makes for fine tuning the razor to YOUR face and beard. I've seen 'em on e-prey all the time at reasonable prices. I got mine when I got back from 'Nam in '70 and have used it flawlessly every day since.