Gin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
I've seen topics for Tequila and Rum, and there's no shortage of threads on beers and whiskeys, but I don't know that I've seen much talk about gin. The weather will be turning cold in short order, and I'll be turning my attention back to the usual whiskeys (always Irish...I'll save the peat for the rest of you) and bourbons, but this summer my spirit of choice was gin. I'd always like the occasional gin and tonic and I've really been turned onto a good, dry gin martini.

At home, I pretty much stuck with two of the usual suspects - Beefeater and Tanqueray. I suspect that once the weather warms again, I'll get the hankering for gin again. Any brands that I'm missing out on? If there are any gin drinkers among us, I'd be interested to hear what some of your brands of choice are.

I have always used Beefeater for G&T's, the juniper aroma of Beefeater is in my mind the quintessential classic English gin aroma. It works really well for Martini's, if you don't mind a little more edge. Somehow, somewhere along the line Beefeater became a bargain bin liquor which is fine by me. ;) 

Once in a blue moon I will treat myself to a bottle of Hendrick's. Wonderful stuff. One of its primary botanical notes is cucumber which is elegantly done by the distiller.

I also enjoy Bluecoat which is a USA distillation. Leopold Bros (also USA) make a wonderful small batch gin but it's a bit out of my price range, but boy does it make a fantastic Martini.

If it's not a margarita it better be a martini... And if it's a martini it better be Beefeaters... Everything else is just flavored vodka. There I said it.

puros_bran":sklbea7x said:
... And if it's a martini it better be Beefeaters... Everything else is just flavored vodka.   There I said it.
You sir are utterly daft!
I am roughly 34% juniper berry. Beefeater tastes like bilge after Blue Coat, or Hendricks...ironically I just ate beef but with a chaser of Blue Coat Gin.

the macdonald":j1tm43vc said:
I am roughly 34% juniper berry.  Beefeater tastes like bilge after Blue Coat, or Hendricks...ironically I just ate beef but with a chaser of Blue Coat Gin.
Beefeater is best when you don't drink it after Bluecoat or Hendricks. :p 

Yes I am else I wouldn't suffer you, but none the less if it isn't beefeaters it's a no go. Gin is supposed to taste like a Christmas tree not a cucumber.

Not going to get into gin choices since they're almost as personal as tobacco choices but will say that if you've been turned onto a dry martini I recommend trying a "wet" martini. I feel vermouth is under appreciated in todays world but it does balance a gin drink out wonderfully when you find the right balance. I usually like 3-4 parts gin, 1/2 part vermouth, 1/2 part olive for a "wet and dirty".

Martinis ? :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

You've gotta be joking.

All great gin choices here and many of them I enjoy greatly (Hendricks and Beefeater being two of them). Two other gins that I think are a value, especially for newcomers or those that don't like lots of juniper flavor are New Amsterdam and Greenall's. They both make pretty thirst quenching Tom Collin's and French 75's. I also enjoy the occasional Negroni.

There's a good book out on gin called "Gin: The Much Lamented Death of Madam Geneva."

If you're a gin fan, make sure you check out the Old Tom and Genever gin varieties. They're both old types of / forms of gin from a long time ago. Sweeter than London Dry gins - and with all sorts of additional character.

Ransom is my current fave Old Tom (I've tried Hayman's too, extensively). Bols is my current fave Genever (I've tried Genevieve a bit too, and others).

Ransom gin + dry vermouth makes a pretty tasty martini!

Doody

Briarbabe":pk5f9br8 said:
I've always been quite partial to Bombay Saphire myself.
That's what I have at home too, but I don't drink it often...but sometimes I like a martini.

I got tired of Sapphire.   It's good, but it's really basic.  

Hendrick's is what I've been going toward when it's time for a taste of gin.  

Beefeater?   I can't side with ya on that, PeeB.   :lol: 

I don't drink Martinis, I prefer Gibson.   I hate olives.

Want a real taste of juniper? Toss a couple fresh berries in with your drink. That last sip will be a humdinger. :D Fortunately, a lot of juniper is local and native to this area in the hills. Really good stuff.

8)

Two gins I don't care for are Tanqueray and Sapphire.

I did enjoy the Tanqueray with the lime essence for a change of pace G&T.

Hendricks, that goes without saying.

Gin is my booze of choice, as a gin and tonic or seltzer water and lime. I like Bombay (Sapphire) and Hendrick's.

I'll have to try Beefeater.