Ginger Baker RIP

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436

https://www.apnews.com/7ec9fb9b640c43fea5a41c24f026a484?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

For the record, I've always been a huge fan of Ginger's drumming from when I first heard him with Cream. Never was able to catch them back in the day. I missed an opportunity back in Mil, WI due to not being into them at the time.  This was just when they were getting going and had one album out - Fresh Cream. Once they released Disralie Gears there was no looking back!

That album literally changed my musical direction as a budding picker, since what had come before was top-40 and I cut my teeth on surf tunes. This was a bold new direction afaic.

I did catch Blind Faith at the Midwest Rock fest back in '69 in Milwaukee WI, about a month before Woodstock. Blind Faith was the headliner one of those 3 nights and having Clapton and Baker on stage was impetus enough for me. At that point I was unaware of Winwood. That would change.

I was 16 at the time and was pleasantly surprised that my folks let me attend this and drive there and back. I wasn't into drugs but did see many instances of those that were!

I have an amusing story to relate about seeing that concert re: Ginger but it's somewhat lengthy and thus will have to wait until later.

I didn't follow Ginger's career path after Cream broke up. Clapton yes. However I always felt he forged his own path and had a totally unique style. I had the good fortune of being in a band with a drummer for about 10 years that emulated Ginger's style and could execute an extended drum solo in roughly the same style, as well as being able to deal with very complex rhythms and time changes in the Prog style. But I digress...

When the Cream re-unite concert became a reality in '05 I jumped on it like white on rice. Fortunately I had a good friend in the UK who was able to procure tickets when they went on sale, as it would've been something like 1AM local time for me and it was on a work day!

So I did actually attend that concert on the opening night of May 2, '05. I didn't have great seats as I was up in the nosebleed section just below the standing room only gallery. It was what my UK mate could get and I just felt fortunate to be there. Impressions about this will have to wait.

In due course I bought the DVD "Beware Mr. Baker". I'd read things about Ginger's abrasive personality previously. The DVD speaks for itself, and while I realize it's a journalistic piece it does also capture a back scene glimpse into the life of a very complicated and talented individual.

RIP Ginger Baker. Your influence will live on......

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

46 views and only 1 reply? Guess the membership isn't interested or doesn't care about this event! Nevertheless, I'll relate my story now-

I remember seeing Blind Faith in the summer of '69 at the Midwest Rock Fest, held at State Fair park in Mil, WI. I was 16 at the time and attended all 3 days of the concerts which went on from noon-midnight. Many different bands, and Blind Faith was headlining one of those nights.

The venue was outside at a racetrack. Fans sat in the stands for all but the headliner act when they would be allowed down in front of the stage on the racetrack. Of course I was one of those down front all 3 nights!

During the day, it was interesting to watch the action going on in back of the stage as the next band's roadies started assembling the equipment. Since there was only one stage there had to be a fast change-over. Anyway, on the day Blind Faith performed some of the fans started pointing out something going on backstage. It was a bit hard to see, but it clearly looked like some very tall guy being supported on either side by two other guys as if the guy in the middle had his arms around their necks. Basically the guy in the middle was being walked around and unable to stand on his own. And the other thing that was noteworthy was that the guy in the middle was not only tall but also shirtless, skinny, and had a full head of bright red hair! That much was more than obvious, even though we only caught glimpses of that through the backstage curtains.

Could this have been Ginger Baker, being walked around in order to sober him up for his performance later that day?! Sure seems like it but I have no corroborating evidence! In any event, when the band finally went on stage around 10PM Ginger was well in control of his faculties and performed a blistering 15-min drum solo on "Do What You Like".

That starts off and ends in 5/4 time signature and is a somewhat awkward meter to work with, including and especially working that into a drum solo. Ginger however, being a jazz musician first and foremost was more than comfortable with odd time sigs and complex rhythms. He moved effortlessly from the main tune into the solo and then out of it just like a comfortable old pair of shoes. Supposedly he was later quoted as saying it was the finest solo he'd ever performed. Whether that's true or not is open for debate. Perhaps he says that after every performance!

Of course that was back when Ginger was still doing all sorts of drugs, heroin included. So if that was indeed him that was being walked around backstage that afternoon he managed to get sober enough for the concert!

Cheers,

RR

Rande, I wouldn't be too distressed over the cool response. I know that Ginger Baker was a controversial guy. As such he isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea. I'm no prude but heavy drug use is a big turn off for a lot of folks and they'd rather not talk about that. I personally find the stories of the legends to be something worth sharing and keeping alive as long as possible. Feel free to share as much as you care too. I know I'll read every word and relish it.

Jim

He was a great drummer. And I liked some music from the bands he played in. But from what I’ve read from interviews he gave. He talked crap about other musicians friends or not. His own son had nothing good to say about him except he was a good drummer.

I was getting ready for my trip down south.

Ginger Baker..........His daughter is on an album cover. Didn't that get pulled or something? I could find the info if I really looked. I have that album. And was he by chance left-handed? Ringo Starr talked about doing some odd things when playing and it was only because he is left-handed that he was able to do it that way. Because he could not make his brain and hands do it like a right-handed player.

Carlos":k1mwem2z said:
I was getting ready for my trip down south.

Ginger Baker..........His daughter is on an album cover.  Didn't that get pulled or something? 
I believe that is a myth. That gal did have red hair and a redheads complexion but at that point he didn't have any kids. And yes that cover was substituted for the other since it was somewhat controversial!

Cheers,

RR