GL Pease Embarcadero - need some advice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
I'm troubled by this blend. My first bowl was totally fantastic. I smoked it right out of the tin after letting it air out for a couple of minutes while I rubbed it out a bit. The smoke was great.

However, the last three bowls I had were flat, harsh and burned like crap. I can't figure out what happened. I've tried it in multiple pipes and it didn't help.

Could it possible be that it dried out a bit. I'd be surprised since the tin has only been opened for a couple of weeks. It smells great in the tin. If you pinch it, it will slowly puff back out and unravel.

Could it be that I'm just packing it too tightly? I'm a bit disappointed since my first bowl was outstanding, particularly about the burning issue. This stuff just won't burn without tons of relights, which seems weird to me.

Any advice?

this won't be any help, but i had my first bowl of the stuff this a.m. it tasted like you described your last three bowls. i'm going to watch this thread and give it another go tomorrow.

I'm a bit mystified quite frankly. I guess you should try gravity-feeding the bowl with a light tamp & see what happens. Wierd.

bruins":cieal3ws said:
this won't be any help, but i had my first bowl of the stuff this a.m. it tasted like you described your last three bowls. i'm going to watch this thread and give it another go tomorrow.
Thanks Bruins, at least I know I'm not crazy. I'll try Muddlers advice the next time and see if it helps.

I had a very similar experience with Embarcadero. First few bowls were great, put it down for a little while, and the rest were not so great. Very similar thing happened with Telegraph Hill too. I think the lesson, for me, is that some tobaccos have a window of opportunity. There's nothing wrong with that, its just good to know. I'll buy both of these again soon, but when I open them I'll stick with 'em until they're gone.

Muddler":7e44j9jq said:
I'm a bit mystified quite frankly. I guess you should try gravity-feeding the bowl with a light tamp & see what happens. Wierd.
Ditto that.
I must say, much respect to the Dark Lord, this blend is great, but back to back on C&D Sunday Picnic, the SP came out tops for me!!!

Smoking some now, as it turns out, in PeeDee's Christmas present Castello Collection prince.

When Embarcadero came out, it quickly teamed up with FVF to constitute the two staples here. It's had its own four pipes for (I guess) a couple of years now.

Needless to say, it's an old and dear friend. From that perspective :

What's-his-name can like it or not, but tobacco is female, and Embarcadero exceptionally so. Mercurial in mood changes and unpredictability.

Perhaps in line with your observations, I've found that as it loses moisture in a jar (even well sealed, it will), it becomes increasingly harder to find the sweet spot with, but it's still there. It won't be as voluptuous as (pardon the choice of words) when it's first opened, but if you stay on the slow edge of it nearly going out, it's there. Even DGT'd, days later. Needless to say, it'll never be the same experience twice, so if you're looking for that, revise your expectations. It's not your fault if it's not.

One thing you daren't do is let it get the least bit hot or damp. If that means lighting it repeatedly (you'll have to), and putting it down three or four times until the pipe's as cool to the touch as one in the rack is, so be it. You can't make it behave the way you want it to, so scrap the template that works with others (char light, real light, steady smolder to the bottom). She has a mind of her own. Forcing it to keep going when it wants to take a break guarantees a less than optimum taste and tongue.

Balkan Sobranie Virginian Nr. 10 was the same way -- there was a pronounced difference between the first bowl of a tin and the last. Partly it may have been simple moisture loss, but essential oil evaporation is probably closer to the mark.

So it seems, FWIW (if anything) to

:face:

PS : With many tobacs, a dedicated pipe that hasn't been cleaned in a while, so long as it's rested, just adds to the richness & body of the taste.

But with Embarcadero, a clean pipe is a happy pipe.

Princesses aren't happy in hovels :no:

GLAD TO BE OF SERVICE

Yak":eui4b8id said:
PS : With many tobacs, a dedicated pipe that hasn't been cleaned in a while, so long as it's rested, just adds to the richness & body of the taste.

But with Embarcadero, a clean pipe is a happy pipe.

Princesses aren't happy in hovels :no:

GLAD TO BE OF SERVICE
Nice way of putting it!!