GL Pease - key largo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
So, I was wanting a smoke this evening, but after yesterday's gormet of Virginias, I was put off by the smell of a va flake. I decided that I wanted something in the middle of a VaPer and an English. I started browseng through my hoardcand stumbled on a tin of GL Pease - Key Largo. The description sounded really good, claiming hints of cocoa, leather, and Dark Roast coffee. Since I like all three very well, I decided to try it.

When I cracked open the tin, I hesitated because this has been aged for 3 years, and I wasn't sure if I should wait. But, at my wifes prompting, I heard the rush of air into the can and then took a deep sniff of the aroma. I was very surprised and delighted at the same time. I was half expecting to be bowled over by the lataki. I could smell the red va's, the latakia, and the cigar leaf. However, I could smell hints of leather and chocolate. My wife even remarked that it smelled pretty good, as she is not a fan of the latakia.

From what I could tell, this was originally a flake, but time and shaking of the can in the mail caused the flake to start crumbling. It therefore rubbed out extremely well and easily, with an almost perfect moisture content.

I decidedvto try this in my meer, and only a half bowl as I didn't want to waste any baccy if I didn't like it. It packed really easily. I then made me some coffee and retired to the porch to see if I made a mistake or not.

When I set my lit match to the tobacco for charring light, it caught quickly with strong flavors of latakia and cigar leaf. I was instantly creastfallen as this is NOT what I was hoping for. I let the ember die down and tamped the baccy down. Took a sip of coffee and re-lit. Now I could taste the red va coming through lightly. I took a couple sips and let the ember die again. I was going totry to find the cocoa, leather, and coffee if I had to smoke the whole tin. As I waited a minute, I could start to get an aftertaste of creaminess an could faintly tell there were other flavors to discover. Infigured I would slow down my sips a bit and let the smoke linger a bit. Latakia and Cigar leaf was still at the forefront with th Va bringing up the rear.

I sip coffee, tamp and relight again, I sip a bit fast and furious to get a good ember, and then let it settle. I give it about 10 seconds from my lat sip and take a slower sip and let it linget. Ahhh, theres the cocoa. It is there, but faint, the leather taste is not so much a scent, but more the drying of the palate like what happens when you walk into a leather shop, or saddle shop.

As I smoke some more, the latakia fades out, and the orientals come out to mix it up with the cigar leaf. This smoke is starting to get interesting. I have never been a fan of cigars, but this is intriguing to say the least. As I get further down the bowl, I start to get a really strong spice note. I could do without that, but hope there is more in store in the way of surprises. As a note, the cocoa flavor seems to have gone into hiding permanently. This is sad, because the hint I got of it was wonderful.

I finished the bowl, and I feel I have gotten a handle on this tobacco a bit. I kept working through cycles of tamp, relight and sip slowly till the ember was out and needed more flame. As the smoke got cooler, the flavors went from latakia/ cigar, to oriental/ cigar, with the virginias always in the background. This blend is very touchy with heat, smoke speed, air draw. I never did get that cocoa flavor back.

All in all, it was a complex smoke that is medium strength, both in Lady N and in flavor. Room note is distinct. I can see why people would like it, especially if they like cigars. Personally, I think that the blend would be better with less cigar wrapper, as it tended to add too much spice. I will have to revisit this again when im not off on virginias. over all, I would have to give this 3 out of 5 stars.

Nice review, thank you.

Seems like it might be a little Lat-heavy for me, but that's why I read reviews.

Again, thanks for a fine review.

Actually, as far as lat blends, go, this is fairly mild. I think the cigar leaf was the main player.

Also, please forgive my typos. I type mostly on my tablet as I cant smoke in the house and I prefer to do my reviews while smoking.

Wonderful review JP, the more I read of reviews for blends with Latakia in them the more I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't give Lat blends a try again, sadly backy is just too damn expensive over here to take risks with any longer, you sure make some blends seem real good even when you don't enjoy them quite so much yourself.

This is the only blend with a fair amount of latakia in it that I get through in any real amount. Since I smoke latakia so rarely I am not searching for another. Just my taste. For me, this one is a hit.