GL Pease

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
Lately I've been searching through the archives and any time I look into GL Pease blends it seems
Mr. Pease himself often comments on many of the threads. Usually, he's clarifying a thing or two on said blend, sometimes he's offering a bit of wisdom on blending, smoking, packing, tamping, or tobacco in general, but overall his views and insights were/are a welcome addition and great to behold.

However, it seems his presence has long since disappeared from this forum and my local tobacconist told me Greg is getting out of the tobacco game and investing his time in his other interests. Is he correct? And if so, is this because of the pending FDA regulations or is it simply a matter of Greg setting his sights on other ventures.

Anyone privy to such knowledge?

Thanks,

Nate

He logs in from time to time.  It's been within the past two weeks.

He used to log in here almost daily, but that was back when BoB was a completely different beast.

The FDA regulations he's referring to are the most current deeming regulations...basically the FDA asserted it had every right to regulate pipe tobacco, Snus, E liquid, etc. and the American People collectively said "meh, whatever Game of Thrones is coming on".

puros_bran":73avlfzm said:

He used to log in here almost daily, but that was back when BoB was a completely different beast.

The FDA regulations he's referring to are the most current deeming regulations...basically the FDA asserted it had every right to regulate pipe tobacco, Snus, E liquid, etc. and the American People collectively said "meh, whatever Game of Thrones is coming on".
PB, what do you mean, "when BoB was a completely different beast?" Just curious as I've only been here since Aug of '14.

Old Nate":flux49wz said:
puros_bran":flux49wz said:

PB, what do you mean, "when BoB was a completely different beast?" Just curious as I've only been here since Aug of '14.
There was a lot more activity. Like the round table was a full page of new posts on a daily basis.

ZeroContent":qlclkkbf said:
Old Nate":qlclkkbf said:
puros_bran":qlclkkbf said:

There was a lot more activity.  Like the round table was a full page of new posts on a daily basis.
I should have caught that I guess. I mean, hell, Greg Pease would post and post a fair amount... gives you a nice perspective when discussing tobacco, considering he made much of what gets smoked here.

It was more than just the amount of post, it was the quality and chemistry of the posters, no disrespect intended towards anyone currently here.
Its one thing to partake of top shelf pipes and tobaccos, it's a completely different thing to be the creators of such.

I guess that answers my question.... I'm a little hurt though, knowing I don't quite shoot par w old member's... :( :( :cry:

Old Nate":1q7zn43v said:
I guess that answers my question.... I'm a little hurt though, knowing I don't quite shoot par w old member's...  :(  :(  :cry:
No, you're every bit on par with any member here-- then or now. There was just more in-your-face interaction going on. Weekly blow ups about just about any topic you can imagine. Go back and read some of the stuff I  the RR from way back when.

MisterE":w8jppcvy said:
Old Nate":w8jppcvy said:
I guess that answers my question.... I'm a little hurt though, knowing I don't quite shoot par w old member's...  :(  :(  :cry:
No, you're every bit on par with any member here-- then or now. There was just more in-your-face interaction going on. Weekly blow ups about just about any topic you can imagine. Go back and read some of the stuff I  the RR from way back when.
Yeah, I've been digging in the archives lately, lots of really interesting guys then and now. I was just having a little fun... have other big time blenders posted in the past? Or do they still?

Greg is no different than anyone else really. We all have busy lives. We like to stay engaged. Have interesting work and hobbies.

There are only so many blending tobaccos to work with. Processes evolve. Some new ideas pop up from time to time. I cannot blame anyone for expanding out into other areas of interest. Until the next batch of really great, rare, Syrian Latakia from the mountains comes along.

He's the Darklord. When the force moves him, he may drop a pearl of wisdom in our laps.

Old Nate":by58xu2m said:
Well, for one thing, the avatar needs work... And then there's the complete lack of witty banter, you do know there's supposed to be witty banter, right?? Plus you do need to find a quirky sub-par tobacco to champion. There's a lot of short comings, but then spin that to the positive and look at how awesome you could be with just a bit of effort.

P.s. One last thing, you really need to increase your rubber room postings. Just pick some nonsensical argument and make it already. That's the short cut to being a better member. It's often over looked because so many seem to think claiming to have smoked/drank/shaved/ate/etc for 147 years and acting with total indignation if someone doesn't kiss your Arse is the better route. Like there's an award for being so boring you lived to grow old. Whatevs!

Old Nate":00vs4giq said:
have other big time blenders posted in the past? Or do they still?
I think C&D used to have a in-house gent that posted some (that might have been at the Knox Cigar Forum). And then there's a boat load of guys that have created club blends, submitted recipes for blending houses, etc.. I'm medicated so that's about as good an answer as I can offer at the moment.

We've actually had quite a bit more pipe carvers than tobacco blenders. Some of the members are without a doubt above average wood whittlers.

What exactly is the "rubber room"? I have heard people refer to rubber room postings, are they located in a particular spot on the forum or do they refer to the content of posts? Like saying "I like Escudo" is as just a boring run of the mill post, but if I was to say something like "Let's build a wall between Canada and USA!" that would be rubber room?

Just curious

Psmith":ptjow5zl said:
What exactly is the "rubber room"?  I have heard people refer to rubber room postings, are they located in a particular spot on the forum or do they refer to the content of posts?  Like saying "I like Escudo" is as just a boring run of the mill post, but if I was to say something like "Let's build a wall between Canada and USA!" that would be rubber room?

Just curious
Pretty much. But a wall between Canada and USA is just common sense, so it's Round Table material. A wall between USA and Mexico, now that's RR....

Check it, yo....

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/f28-joining-the-asylum

I remember a dust up between a new member who had recently migrated from another board and called Greg out, basically suggesting using the forum to advance his marketing.

Greg responded that he was done posting on public forums as a result. Which I found to be a great pity! Totally unwarranted IMO.

Greg did go on to post on several threads since then. Do a search.

I lament his involvement here!

:pale:

Cheers,

RR

I remember that as well. Peace disturbers rarely last here, but it's hard to blame someone as busy as Greg for moving on.

Haven't heard anything about him getting out of the game, but if the FDA regs stick that would be a big blow to one of his creative outlets. So  hearing that, makes sense. I know he's a wine lover and has been involved with a winery in Napa.