GLP Barbary Coast (Aug 11, 2001)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, before I took my ~8 yr pipe hiatus I got in a few tins which have been languishing in my cellar. One of these was a tall and skinny "pop-top" tin of GLP Barbary Coast dated from Aug 11, 2001. Price sticker indicates $8.75, and I undoubtedly purchased this from the long gone and much lamented Tinder Box in Issaquah, WA where I hung out for a good few years. Recently re-discovered this tin and decided to open it.

While the tin was intact in all respects, the moisture level was not great. While not dry as dust, it was clear that it had dried out beyond acceptable. So I did what I've had great results with in the past - that being to empty the contents into a shallow bowl and then covering it with a white washcloth moistened with water, making sure that the cloth didn't touch the 'baccy.

After a few hrs I checked the moisture level of the 'baccy by feel and decided to give it another treatment with a fresh moistened cloth. This produced an acceptable level of moisture and one in which I prefer - that being on the dry side. Jarred it up and dug in the next day.

Happy to report I was rewarded with a very smokable blend and one I've been enjoying. While I never knew this blend previously, the Burley components are very pronounced and the top note of Brandy is still much in evidence.

And while this might have been more well defined before it dried out, all I can say is that it's still a very enjoyable and satisfying blend. I'll continue to smoke the rest of this on the few bowls remaining, and will consider getting in some fresh to compare.

All to say, what a great GLP blend! Anyone have other stories similar?

8)

Cheers,

RR

Don't have a similar story but I have tried Barbary Coast and have found it to be an exceptional Cube Cut blend that gets all the checks in the box.
High quality, nutty Burley; great Red Virginias; just enough Périque. It burns slowly but nicely. Has the right Nic hit for my liking. And the brandy casing gives it a support (and sweetness) that enhances the tobaccos.
Just a great tobacco to smoke!

That's one I could never find my stride with, I really enjoyed the flavor but I couldn't smoke the stuff. I don't get tongue bite very often but something with Barbary Coast really did it to me, most likely the brandy.

I had a nicely aged tin from 2002, one of the small barrel shaped jobs. I shipped most of the tin to a fellow BOB'r.   ;)

Fight'n Hampsters":eg2d8yl9 said:
Out of curiosity, what do you think caused it to be so dry in the sealed tin?
Well now, that's the question of the day.....isn't it? I wonder about this myself.

The tin was in my possession since I bought it back in '01. Not shipped or moved except to perhaps another shelf space in all that time

Yet something went south during this time. And it' s not down to the lack of a seal like on the rectangular tins I hear about these days, and yet have a problem with.

Interestingly enough, in this same lot of old GLP 'baccys from that same year, I've had a few winners and losers. To wit-

Mephisto - long gone blend w/Syrian Latakia and rum. This required hydration and I eventually shipped it off to those who favoured the Lat-weed. At this time I don't!

Cairo - one of the success stories here. The moisture level seemed to be pretty good and didn't have to mess with this other than smoke it. A very pleasant blend, but it did require several bowls to get the taste.

Also had a tin of Raven's Wing and Abingdon from '01 and '03 respectively, but those are in the possession of pipestuds site, since I'm off Lat blends.

So there you have it. All were the old style tall/skinny pop top tins from the early '00's.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":32x72rhz said:
Fight'n Hampsters":32x72rhz said:
Out of curiosity, what do you think caused it to be so dry in the sealed tin?
Well now, that's the question of the day.....isn't it? I wonder about this myself.

The tin was in my possession since I bought it back in '01. Not shipped or moved except to perhaps another shelf space in all that time

Yet something went south during this time. And it' s not down to the lack of a seal like on the rectangular tins I hear about these days, and yet have a problem with.

Interestingly enough, in this same lot of old GLP 'baccys from that same year, I've had a few winners and losers. To wit-

Mephisto - long gone blend w/Syrian Latakia and rum. This required hydration and I eventually shipped it off to those who favoured the Lat-weed. At this time I don't!

Cairo - one of the success stories here. The moisture level seemed to be pretty good and didn't have to mess with this other than smoke it. A very pleasant blend, but it did require several bowls to get the taste.

Also had a tin of Raven's Wing and Abingdon from '01 and '03 respectively, but those are in the possession of pipestuds site, since I'm off Lat blends.

So there you have it. All were the old style tall/skinny pop top tins from the early '00's.

Cheers,

RR
Interesting...

As I am sure happens to others who are cellaring blends, I worry about how they are doing when I hear about an episode like this from others.
More recently I have heard about some C&D and a few Pease blends having mold in them when they are opened. :cry:
Makes sense since they are canned in the same place.

That being said, I am sure I would rather have a tin turn up dry than moldy.

Perhaps there is another argument for using glass and new canning seals? At the very least, if things start to get 'fuzzy' it is easily apparent without opening the container.

Ozark Wizard":9qaxu0hi said:
Perhaps there is another argument for using glass and new canning seals? At the very least, if things start to get 'fuzzy' it is easily apparent without opening the container.
True.

What is frustrating is that for cellering purposes I have been paying a little extra and getting the 2oz tins, especially of FDA chopping block blends, instead of the 8oz or 16oz tins so that I wouldn't have to buy mason jars and go through all that rigamaroll. :cry: