GLP Cumberland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
G.L. Pease Cumberland:

I promised the good friend that turned me on to Cumberland that I would not give a review on this leaf until I smoked the 2 ounces that he so graciously blessed me with. I have to say that I have approximately one bowl full left and I am savoring it for the right occasion.

This is based on Cumberland that has been aging for 2 years and 9 months so I can't speak here for the newly tinned leaf.

Much like the smoke itself the name Cumberland brings to mind a myriad of thoughts. having a lineage steeped in VA mountain heritage, the first being Cumberland Gap very near the border with TN and over into the state of TN. And then it brings historical thoughts to mind from the Civil War era: The Old Wilderness Road cutting through the Gap was a natural invasion route. For the Confederacy, it led to the rich Kentucky bluegrass country to the north. For the Union, it led to the Northern sympathizers of East Tennessee, and to an opportunity to cut rebel supply lines. In late summer of 1861, the Confederacy seized the Gap and made it the eastern anchor of a defense line extending to the Mississippi River. This is particularly nostalgic to me being a humble Confederate buff, bringing to mind also Confederate soldiers resting with clay and corncob pipes full of rum flavored Red Burley.

Mr. Pease's description of Cumberland reads: Ripe, red Virginia tobaccos create the frame in which some truly special Kentucky dark-fired leaf is exhibited. This leaf has a depth and richness that is rarely seen in tobaccos of its type. A measure of stoved and matured flue-cured is added to provide a gentle sweetness and solidify the foundation. A little Louisiana perique provides a piquant spice, and a subtle fruitiness.

As I mentioned above just as the word Cumberland brings to mind a myriad of thoughts so does "aged" Cumberland tobacco bring together a myriad of flavors. That is the most prominant thing that I can say about this "aged" tobacco. It is a myriad of many flavors that have been brought together by a skillful blender and comes at the smoker all at once. The subtle sweetness of the ripe red VA leaf melds into the nutty Kentucky leaf that is delightfully offset by the spicy yet fruity undertones of the Louisiana Perique. It just comes together all at once upon the initial light that only requires, as part of the ritual, the customary tamp and relight and then burns down to a fine gray ash with one of the most delightful tobacco flavor experiences imaginable, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. And, as any fine tobacco should, leaves a very nice natural tobacco flavor on the palette. As delightful as any experience that I have ever had from smoking a fine tobacco such as this.

I would like to note, as I promised to the good friend that gave me this tobacco that I would, about the smoke itself produced from Cumberland. Upon paying very close attention to the characteristic of the smoke produced, it was quite different than any that I had noticed before. The smoke itself appeared to be very dense with a very slightly cream color to match the very creamy texture that it produced. It also seemed to waft up very slowly from the button of the pipe almost in some kind of rhythmic dance. I just found it very interesting and going forward I will pay much closer attention to this aspect of the pipe smoking experience.

Thank you Mr. Pease for sharing your gift that affords one just such an experience!

Mark Hale

Nice review! The only thing I can add is that it was my favorite smoke of all time. In fact, I bought a Dunhill Cumberland 3206 in which to smoke it. When I try to smoke it now, I get the hiccups and spins so bad it's not worth it to smoke anymore. Your review brought back memories that were almost as good as the actual smoke. Thanks!

Jim

Ol'Dawg":wqtucj12 said:
Nice review! The only thing I can add is that it was my favorite smoke of all time. In fact, I bought a Dunhill Cumberland 3206 in which to smoke it. When I try to smoke it now, I get the hiccups and spins so bad it's not worth it to smoke anymore. Your review brought back memories that were almost as good as the actual smoke. Thanks!

Jim
Ol'Dawg,

Since Cumberland no longer agrees with you I would be glad to relieve you of any that you might have sitting around. If you are interested in a trade or something please let me know!

JP, a solid review of a first rate tobacco. The aged KY tobacco I think is what sets this blend apart. Of all the GLP blends, Cumberland and Robusto are my favorites. Whether the KY/perique interplay or the cigar leaf in Robusto, both just overwhelm my taste. Outstanding.

morleysson":55veksb7 said:
JP, a solid review of a first rate tobacco. The aged KY tobacco I think is what sets this blend apart. Of all the GLP blends, Cumberland and Robusto are my favorites. Whether the KY/perique interplay or the cigar leaf in Robusto, both just overwhelm my taste. Outstanding.
Mr. Runowski, I would never tire of my taste being overwhelmed by that KY/Perique interplay.

Mr. Runowski, I would never tire of my taste being overwhelmed by that KY/Perique interplay.[/quote]

They put KY jelly in it? YUK,,,

morleysson":qiyr96rh said:
Agree.