GLP Odyssey and Cumberland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benton

Reaction score
I've got a tin each of Odyssey and Cumberland open now, they are the blends that I'm "studying" most carefully these days. I haven't tried all of the blends in the GLP lineup, but it is hard to imagine two of them that are more different.

Odyssey is a real surprise. Given the tin description and the potent aroma, I didn't expect such a mellow, sweet smoke. To look at all that black mess in the tin, you would expect it to taste like chopped tires, but it's more like devil's food cake. I was in love from the first match.

I need some pointers on Cumberland, though. It seems to have a tendency to turn harsh and acrid with little provocation. Do you all dry it out? I tried it in a larger, thick-walled pipe last night and had some hints of very good flavor during the first third and last third of the bowl. There was a middle third, though, that was a little acrid, irritated my throat, and gave me a bit of tongue bite.

Anyone out there get over their love/hate relationship with Cumberland?

Burley oft times needs to be carefully sipped. Just barely smouldering. Usually it's my packing technique that has faltered when I get a bitter bowl.

Odyssey and Westminster are blends that I smoke often due to their mellowness an sweetness. I can smoke one pipe after the other without ill effects to the mouth. They are great bleds for those with a sweet tooth for Latakia. :D

I like to use Cumberland to break in new pipes. It goes well with the flavor of raw briar :lol!:

My experience with Cumberland is the difference when aged. Like two totally different blends. They don't even look at all the same appearance wise. The aged (3+ years) is out of this world! I have a similar experience as you described with brand new Cumberland unless sipped as Carlos pointed out.

Odyssey is one of my favorites. Love that latakia kick. And it doesn't end there...

Lou, NY

Cumberland is one of my very favorite tobaccos. All of what I have is aged, and thus I would like to add this caveat to the following: Cumberland has always been a great smoke, but I have also I smoked it young and never found it harsh.