GLP Renaissance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Stem

Reaction score
From my review on TR:
GL Pease Renaissance. My review is from a 9 year old tin dated Jan. 2000 that was recently opened and put into a mason jar. The appearance in the tin is an overall medium to dark brown with very few lighter brown flecks throughout. The moisture upon opening the tin was nearly perfect. After a few bowls I noticed a shiny black piece inside that upon closer inspection turned out to be a small piece of nylon twine about an inch-and-a-half long that had apparently been processed with my batch. I wonder if that had anything to do with my initial dislike of it? Anyhow, the more I smoke of it the more it’s growing on me. Very smooth and mellow and a pleasant smoky/sweet/slightly spicy taste. It’s definitely different than anything else I’ve tried so far. For all it’s smoothness it still gives me a faint warning of tongue bite when I smoke it the slightest bit quickly; although I haven’t actually gotten tongue bite nor am not certain it would actually occur; it’s just the sensation I get on my tongue when puffing moderately. I don’t get this tongue sensation when smoking any other blends aside from aromatics and then it usually ends up actually burning my tongue, but this doesn’t. I hope that makes sense, maybe it’s just my body chemistry? Actually this “warning’ is kind of good because it serves as a reminder to slow it down and take in this wonderful smoke! I would give it a 8.5 out of 10 but since my only minor complaint is probably a unique, personal one I’ll give this rare classic its due. Highly recommended! If you get a chance, try it!

Actually, I didn't look at the other reviews when writing mine in an effort to be objective and after posting my review I noticed others had commented on the "bite" issue with this blend. Pretty amazing for such a revered classic!

Thank you for the review. I like Renaissance quite a bit, but find I have to smoke it in moderation and on a full stomach or I get a big nicotine hit. It's my body chemistry I think. I find the blend to be flavorful, rich, and a touch spicy, as do you. The burn is just wonderful. Because I smoke it slow, I don't get tongue bite from it. This is not a tobacco I would smoke in a pipe that I couldn't control.

No bite for me, either. I give it a 10 out of 10.

But the tobacco was tinned too dry in some of the older tins. The last tin I opened, about one month ago, had 3 1/2 bowls worth of tobacco dust! Unfortunately, this is not the first tin where this happened. I am very concerned for the future of my stash...