GLP Triple Play

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
I'm thoroughly enjoying this blend lately. I have a tin that is relatively fresh and can only imagine what a little age would do for this blend. There is a lot going on here(flavor wise) and not to mention the punch it has if you're not careful. This is truly one of my sit back and relax smokes, as I sip it nice and slow. Burns well, and delivers an array of flavors notably the Kentucky and Perique while the Virginia's meld the two together. Ah, wish I had enough time on my lunch break... Until tonight.

This was sent to me on a Bombing and to tell ya the truth I've never liked GLP blends.
Although, this one is surprisingly an exception to the rule and I like it so much that I bought two more tins of it. The tin smell reminds me of hickory smoked bacon in a way, probably why I like it. What guy can refuse Bacon? But, Shhh! Don't tell GLP, I don't want'em to get s big head or anything. ;)

Cartaphilus":bh8v4ym1 said:
This was sent to me on a Bombing and to tell ya the truth I've never liked GLP blends.
Although, this one is surprisingly an exception to the rule and I like it so much that I bought two more tins of it. The tin smell reminds me of hickory smoked bacon in a way, probably why I like it. What guy can refuse Bacon? But, Shhh! Don't tell GLP, I don't want'em to get s big head or anything. ;)
Lol. I feel the same way... GLP blends(that I've tried) were never winners for me, but this one is nice. It has a certain something I keep coming back to.

First off, I'm not a big fan of plugs but when a friend gave me a tin of this back in '12 I went ahead and thought I'd try it anyway. As with most of Greg's blends, it's got lots of Perique in it, he LOVES the stuff, and the Burley only added to my problems with it !! Too much Burley in a blend will cause me major nasal problems and this stuff did that !! All in all it was ANOTHER GLP disappointment for me! After trying to get through two bowls of the stuff, I ended up giving the rest away!! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":hjs437z9 said:
First off, I'm not a big fan of plugs but when a friend gave me a tin of this back in '12 I went ahead and thought I'd try it anyway. As with most of Greg's blends, it's got lots of Perique in it, he LOVES the stuff, and the Burley only added to my problems with it !! Too much Burley in a blend will cause me major nasal problems and this stuff did that !! All in all it was ANOTHER GLP disappointment for me!  After trying to get through two bowls of the stuff, I ended up giving the rest away!! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:
That's too bad sir, it's the 1st I've I even liked of his, sorry you can't enjoy it with me. :cry:

monbla256":t3jw9tvj said:
As with most of Greg's blends, it's got lots of Perique in it, he LOVES the stuff
Most? In the current catalogue, 16 have perique, 20 have none...

pwn3d2.jpg

I want to try Triple Play and Cumberland as I really enjoyed the tin of JackKnife Plug RR I had, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

sam":iz60ezn5 said:
I want to try Triple Play and Cumberland as I really enjoyed the tin of JackKnife Plug RR I had, just haven't gotten around to them yet.
I think you'll enjoy TP. Initially, I wasn't too sure of the VA GLP blends, but TP is fast becoming one of my favorites. I save it for those occassions when I have nothing to do but enjoy my pipe. I have Telegraph Hill on my next order, can't wait.

juanmedusa":d2a2dnts said:
I am a Triple Play fan. I've always enjoyed it.
Then I bet your the culprit that sent it to me then. :suspect:

Cartaphilus":pgr1lun3 said:
juanmedusa":pgr1lun3 said:
I am a Triple Play fan. I've always enjoyed it.
Then I bet your the culprit that sent it to me then. :suspect:
If it came with x, y, and z then yes! My memory is not so good in this first year with the baby. I remember much of the ingredients in that bomb and it sounds like me to put that one in there with the other stuff but I can't remember 100% and don't want to take credit for someone else's goodwill. I'll pm you X,y, and z and we'll see how good your memory is. :confused:

I have to admit to not having much experience with Triple Play, yet. That will change given time.

I love it when Greg steps in and sets us back on the path. You never know who is watching. 8)

I believe we really are in a golden age of pipe smoking. Perhaps the 2nd or 3rd golden age. The amount of condiment tobaccos may not be as extensive as in the past. But the processes being done with what we have to work with are producing some amazing blends. Never did I think those early thin and crumbly slices coming out of North Carolina would lead to so much unique and smokable weed.

I have 2 tins of Triple Play that are aging. For those who have tried it, would it be reasonable to suppose that it has less DFK that Jackknife's Plug? I thought the latter had a bit too much DFK for my liking, so I'm hoping Triple Play is less DFK in your face.

Guyrox":zcqoia5q said:
I have 2 tins of Triple Play that are aging. For those who have tried it, would it be reasonable to suppose that it has less DFK that Jackknife's Plug? I thought the latter had a bit too much DFK for my liking, so I'm hoping Triple Play is less DFK in your face.
I would say yes. I believe it to have less DFK. I don't know the proportions but it reads as less to me in the pipe smoke, the plug is visually less dark than JKP. And it's my impression that the guys that prefer the JKP do so for the DFK. Based on your impression of JKP, it sounds like Triple Play will suit you better. Let us know when you get to it.

juanmedusa":lhm0twgl said:
Guyrox":lhm0twgl said:
I would say yes. I believe it to have less DFK. I don't know the proportions but it reads as less to me in the pipe smoke, the plug is visually less dark than JKP. And it's my impression that the guys that prefer the JKP do so for the DFK. Based on your impression of JKP, it sounds like Triple Play will suit you better. Let us know when you get to it.
Thanks, bud. Ok, so it's really all about the VA and PER, then. I will report for review duty with great pleasure when I get to it, Juan, but bare with me because it may take a while. ;)

I haven't tried the Triple Play, but I really dig the JackKnife Plug. It's not full bodied IMO, but it makes for a fantastic first pipe of the day.

I like the preparation, and the thought of smoking plug tobacco in a cob, like some pipe smoker did 100 years ago.

I don't want to get so romantic though, that I start stuffing my cob with Days Work or Cannon Ball! :lol:

Triple Play is like JKP's friendlier easier going cousin for those who don't get along with the forceful bluntness of JKP, have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the last bit of Triple Play I had but that was quite some months ago now, have to remedy that some day.