Golden Gate Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I have three Dunhill pipes, two straight Shell Briars billiards and a bent Cumberland billiard. One of the Shells was made in 1968 and the other in 1972. I don't have a clue as to when the Cumberland was made. I'm not bragging because I have Dunhill pipes. If I couldn't have gotten them on the cheap they would belong to someone else. I also have two Golden Gate pipes that I paid about $125.00 for the two. One is a smooth Poker and the other is a partial blast straight Bulldog. These were new pipes that are made in the Ukraine and I bought them on eBay. I smoke all five pipes regularly and have some observation that I found to be interesting.

I was hoping to find fault with the Dunhills. It's hard for me to accept that pipes that cost a bit more than the average is really worth the money. I was hoping I could get one to gurgle or smoke hot. I tried tobacco that was too moist and packed them so tight that I could hardly draw through them. It was tough to keep them lit at times but I never once got any gurgle. I got plenty of goop and dottle because I smoked some trashy tobacco in them. But nothing I did could make the Dunhills deliver tongue bite, gurgle, or get too hot to hold. With a good straight Va. or VaPer and packed properly they delivered a very enjoyable smoke. Maybe it was because of my mind set due to the Dunhill hype but I thought they produce the best smoking experience I've ever had. Now enter my two Golden Gates.

I knew when I bought them that there was a general prejudice against pipes made in the Eastern Block countries. For the most part there is a lot of junk from that part of the world. Except for one or two artisans from Russia there aren't any pipe masters in that part of the world right? Wrong! But I'm getting ahead of myself. When I received my first G.G., the Poker, it was clear that this was a very attractive pipe. Beautiful grain and attention to detail like a rounded rim instead of just a squared off cut. No fills or pits with a beautiful stain and a high gloss finish that is the envy of every Ferrari owner.The Lucite saddle bit stem was smooth along the sides with no visible seams. The stem and shank are perfectly matched. There is no filter and the tenon fits snugly and smoothly into the mortise. It has a nice deep chamber that holds enough tobacco to allow a good hour and a half smoke. Smoking it has proved to be a delight as well. I started smoking several different blends of Va.'s and Vapors but have recently dedicated it to McClelland 5100. They are made for each other. The draw is open a free. Never any gurgle or tongue bite. The tobacco smokes slow and cool delivering the fine sweetness of the ribbon cut red Va. It is such a well made inexpensive pipe that is such a great experience to smoke that I decided I want another G.G. in order to give this one some rest and still have an opportunity to smoke a G.G.

When the Bulldog arrived I was immediately impressed by the blast and the crisp appearance. The texture is like course smooth sand. Its little pebbles are quite uniform in shape probably produce by machine but I may be wrong about that. The smooth briar between the two rings that encircle the bowl is expertly done. The grooves are straight and sharp and the rim, while not being rounded, is smooth and has a finished look. It's flat, smooth, and with a clean look. The shank and stem fit is a perfect as one could possibly be. The two contrast briar rings on the stem is also masterfully done. You can barely see where the rings and stem are fitted together. Smoking this pipe has been a dream come true from day one. There wasn't a breaking in period. The first smoke was great and it has been great with every subsequent smoke. Free air flow even with the 9mm filter and the draw is as smooth as a mountain lake in the early morning. I haven't dedicate this pipe to a particular blend for now but it does seem to favor flake VaPors. As expected there has been no gurgle, tongue bite, only a cool delightful dry smoke.

The Dunhills dissolved my prejudices against them by proving to me that they are worth whatever one pays for them. They are, in my opinion, great pipes. By the same token the Golden Gate pipes are great pipes. Costing about one tenth of the price of a group four or five Dunhill they deliver a quality smoke just as good as the Dunhills. The baffling thing is that they are made in the Ukraine, that part of the world where we know there are no masters or craftsmen capable of making a pipe equal to our beloved Western European and American made pipes. Go figure.

I would be interested in hearing of your experiences with Golden Gate pipes. Anyone else had the pleasure? :) 

AJ

G.G. Pipes were the first pipes I chanced upon on Ebay when I was on the lookout for my first pipe. Thay looked very good and were inexpensive, however I never did get one. After this review though I think I"ll look again and pick one, from memory they had a nice churwarden and dublin.

Hi AJ. I know this bringing an old thread back to life, but I wanted to let you know I recently smoked a GG and had a very similar experience to you. It smoked so well that I just purchased a smooth tomato on Amazon.

AJ you don't have any pictures of your GG pipes you could post, just curious. Will have to google them.

Hawker":40rc8qp1 said:
AJ you don't have any pictures of your GG pipes you could post, just curious. Will have to google them.
Hello my friend, Here's what I have. They were taken from the seller's site when I bought them.

TMacphersonNH":kzhuhzig said:
Hi AJ. I know this bringing an old thread back to life, but I wanted to let you know I recently smoked a GG and had a very similar experience to you. It smoked so well that I just purchased a smooth tomato on Amazon.
I think they're one of the most under rated pipes being made today. If I was in the market for another manufactured pipe Golden Gate would be right at the top of the list. A pipe for less than $70.00 with the great smoking qualities they have is rare. I'm very pleased you found them to your liking.  :) 

AJ

That's some nice looking briar AJ, luv the birdseye on the poker. With what you've said in your earlier post they look like good buys for the money that's hard to beat at those prices.

My bulldog, which I only received yesterday, is identical to the one pictured except for being in a smooth finish.

It smoked like a seasoned pipe right from the start and I can only confirm what the OP said. This is unbelievable value for money.

I paid $49.99 plus $7.00 shipping = $56.99 for one excellent pipe.

Our post office still battles with a huge backlock after last year's strike. I believe by end March it should be up to date and then I'm going to buy another GG or maybe a couple!!

I see Golden Gate make beechwood pipes. Anyone here tried one? For only $20 delivered I may just pull the trigger and get one...

Thanks

Tim

Edit. Just placed my order for a sandblasted Dublin in beechwood for a massive $19.98 delivered. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Well the beechwood pipe arrived today. It's finish is about what I'd expect from a $20 pipe and the bowl is lined with liquid glass. However the drilling is brilliant and it smokes well.  

The glass lining doesn't worry me too much given its made from beechwood, but does anyone know if their briars are lined with this too?

Thanks,

Tim

Timbo":shpmtb5e said:

The glass lining doesn't worry me too much given its made from beechwood, but does anyone know if their briars are lined with this too?

Thanks,

Tim
My pipe came with some sort of bowl coating, looked like soot, and was easy to remove. Underneath was just pure, clean wood. No break in, smoked like a champ right from the start.

Please, what is a "liquid glass" lining like? Never heard of this before :oops:

SpeedyPete":abin6ebl said:
Timbo":abin6ebl said:

Thanks,

Tim
My pipe came with some sort of bowl coating, looked like soot, and was easy to remove.  Underneath was just pure, clean wood.  No break in, smoked like a champ right from the start.

Please, what is a "liquid glass" lining like?  Never heard of this before :oops:
It's a sparkly grey lining on the inside of the bowl that is quite hard and non porous. It stops briar breathing but in this case I'm presuming it's there to stop the birch wood burning out.

Of course all I see are devices for the other smoking weed when I tried a Google image search.

Cheers

Tim

When I read "liquid glass" I first thought of "Waterglass" which is Sodium silicate-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

I used to use this along with "Whiting" or Calcium carbonate to make a strong cement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate

Much stronger than plaster of Paris.

Could this be the liquid glass referred to here?

Cheers,

RR

Timbo":lw1ufk2s said:
SpeedyPete":lw1ufk2s said:
Timbo":lw1ufk2s said:

Thanks,

Tim
My pipe came with some sort of bowl coating, looked like soot, and was easy to remove.  Underneath was just pure, clean wood.  No break in, smoked like a champ right from the start.

Please, what is a "liquid glass" lining like?  Never heard of this before :oops:
It's a sparkly grey lining on the inside of the bowl that is quite hard and non porous. It stops briar breathing but in this case I'm presuming it's there to stop the birch wood burning out.

Of course all I see are devices for the other smoking weed when I tried a Google image search.

Cheers

Tim

My apologies, a brain fart on my part, I did mean water glass and not liquid glass.

Probably why Google wasn't any help :)

Cheers

Tim

SpeedyPete":ddi67t4q said:
I paid $49.99 plus $7.00 shipping = $56.99 for one excellent pipe.
I can help with the purchase of new pipes GG ...))) For 33-35 dollars / 1 pc for smooth, briar (1000%) + vulcanite ...
+ Shipping ... interesting - write ... :roll:

And - by the way ... we have very good Masters !!! They live in Kiev - Sokolik, Shekita, Rizhenko ... :!:

DSCN0063-1-300x225.jpg

Golden Gate