Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
Been waiting for a while to get these, going back and forth with whether or not I should.  Glad I finally pulled the trigger.  Really neat idea to get to see what the different growing regions distinct flavor is like.

Sorry, the pic is obnoxiously large.  :oops:

Here is from the description at Pipes and Cigars:

Golden Triangle Collection is the best way for you to clearly see the differences in the special varietal Periques that Russ Ouellette had the opportunity to work with. To be able to detect the variation in the different growing regions, Russ created a mellow blend of bright Virginia and toasted Burley as a base, and the same amount of each of the four varietal Periques is added in exactly the same proportions. You'll be able to taste the nuances of each type and compare them clearly with this collection. To round out the uniqueness of this sampler, we're including a tin of straight St. James Perique for you to try in your own blends. For many years, the only commercially available Perique has been Acadian Perique, which is blended with Perique-processed dark air-cured tobaccos, but this is the real deal, made only from Perique tobaccos grown in the Golden Triangle.

South Vacherie - Exhibits distinct espresso notes with an herbal character with hints of white pepper - complex.

Paulina - Flinty, with a coffee note. Has a peppery sourness that you'll feel toward the back of your palate.

Belmont - Buttery, salty notes of brined olives with a bit of fruitiness, and some cayenne pepper on the finish.

Grand Point - Winey fruitiness with a bit of cocoa and sweet baking spices

Ah, thank you! I don't frequent that site, so I had no idea! They look interesting!

I think having a base blend in each that is the same will really let you get a feel for the differences.

I have 3 quart jars of perique of unknown origin that about 6 years old. Open one of them and it will knock you out. I blend it with red Virginia and some accent variations. Love perique! I may have to pick up a set of those tins and do my own comparison doing the same blend.

I had a friend that is into purity and simplicity in his tastes. Once me and a friend introduced him to perique. He wanted to smoke it straight, pure and simple. He was green within 2 minutes and nauseous within 4.

Valdus":m1iecx3m said:
I had a friend that is into purity and simplicity in his tastes. Once me and a friend introduced him to perique. He wanted to smoke it straight, pure and simple. He was green within 2 minutes and nauseous within 4.
?

Valdus":7607g4rn said:
I don't get this with smoking straight perique but with Black XX I would get a DWI.

So I have tried a bowl of Belmont and Grand Point.  Both are quite interesting.

My take in reference the above seller descriptions:
Belmont has a definite salty pepper-spicy flavor with moments of creamy smoothness. Liked this one alot.
Grand Point was very spicy.  Very mild, hardly noticeable fruity note, but it may come out more in a different pipe. Would make a good mixer.

Yes. Each blend has the same Virginia burley base. The only difference is the third component which is a perique from a different growing region.