Good Air Purifier?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
So my smoking in the apartment experiment is a bit of a failure. The smoking is just bothering my room mate too much. She seems pretty committed to finding a way for this to work for me, which is great. During our last conversation, we started discussing air purifiers.

I've been looking at a few from Honeywell, but a lot of reviews talk about them becoming noisy soon after they start using them and then breaking all together after about a year or so.

Here are the ones I've been looking at:

Honeywell HTT-080 Tower
Honeywell Oscillating Tower HFD-120

Most other purifiers are significantly more expensive and I'm not willing to expend more than $150 to make this feasible.

Does anyone have any experience with these purifiers or any others that they would recommend? I'd love to find a good solution here 'cause if I can't, it's gonna be a while before I can get more than a bowl a week.

Honeywell use to be good stuff but, I had and older one that took a filter and wasn't impressed. The newer ones I know nothing about. I've heard a lot of good things about the "Sharper Image" ones No filters and just wipe clean.

Over the years I have spent way too much money on air purifiers only to conclude that it is a waste of time. You may find that things - technology - has finnally answered the challenge but beware. I have had everything from the little ashtrays with fans to suck in and filter the smoke to large units that supposedly handle thousands of cubit of air mass. Some masked the smell for a while. None ever placated even the most tolerant of non-smokers, nor did they keep me from detecting the remnants upon my return to the room or floor of the house hours afterwards. Before I spent a dime on one today I would find someplace where one was in use, in a smoking environment, and take a committed non-smoker - one of my teenagers - as a scent detector. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

If all you are smoking is pipes, it should be easier to find a solution. I try not to smoke cigars in the ham shack (basement). Pipes are occasionally detectable upstairs. Except Pirate Kake, which can bring the fire dept from the next town poking around looking for a blaze. The nature of most pipe tobaccos is, that the smoke rarely lingers, is reasonably pleasant smelling, and does not contain the acrid, treated-paper, eye-burning chemicals that cigarettes do.

So look to the basement or a garage first. Temporarily closing in a porch or nook, with framing and heavy plastic can get you a place out of the wind. Planning your time means you could put an oil filled heater out there for some warmth if need be.

Spend your money on a largish lawn shed and go hide out there. Notice, I am avoiding filters. You need ventilation to make this work, drafty basements etc. Reprocessing inside air though a He-pa filter is doomed.

Carlos":nfwnue9s said:
If all you are smoking is pipes, it should be easier to find a solution. I try not to smoke cigars in the ham shack (basement). Pipes are occasionally detectable upstairs. Except Pirate Kake, which can bring the fire dept from the next town poking around looking for a blaze. The nature of most pipe tobaccos is, that the smoke rarely lingers, is reasonably pleasant smelling, and does not contain the acrid, treated-paper, eye-burning chemicals that cigarettes do.

So look to the basement or a garage first. Temporarily closing in a porch or nook, with framing and heavy plastic can get you a place out of the wind. Planning your time means you could put an oil filled heater out there for some warmth if need be.

Spend your money on a largish lawn shed and go hide out there. Notice, I am avoiding filters. You need ventilation to make this work, drafty basements etc. Reprocessing inside air though a He-pa filter is doomed.
All those solutions sounds great... only I live in an apartment in Lakeview so few of those options are open to me.

However! We've reached a trial agreement that seems to be working so far. After some questioning and discussion, I learned that it only bothered my roomie while I was smoking, but not after I'd smoked a few hours prior to her arrival home. Right now, I'm smoking on my days/mornings off and stopping around 3 pm to let things dissipate. By the time she gets home, it doesn't seem to bother her. No extra money spent and, for the time being, everyone is happy.

Let's hear it for diplomacy!