Good article re “how much caffeine”.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info out there...this one is interesting. It covers how much caffeine is likely to be in your cup by virtue of a number of factors including brewing method, grind, water temp, brew time, how high the beans are grown...etc. Counter to my previous understanding a pour over system yields one of the highest levels while the French press is on the lower end of the scale.

Anyway, here’s the link: The way you brew your coffee affects the caffeine levels—here's how

Lots of good info out there...this one is interesting. It covers how much caffeine is likely to be in your cup by virtue of a number of factors including brewing method, grind, water temp, brew time, how high the beans are grown...etc. Counter to my previous understanding a pour over system yields one of the highest levels while the French press is in the lower end of the scale.
"French press
While there’s something that just feels fancy and elegant about using a French press, you won’t get high extractions out of it. Even though it’s an immersion method and you use very hot water, “French press ranked the lowest of all the artisanal techniques because it’s such a coarse grind size,” Dr. Arnot says. (If you used a finer grind size, you’d end up with lots of coffee grounds in your cup.)"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bah and humbug to Dr. Arnot. When I use my French press, I use a thoroughly mixed combination of coarse and fine grind coffee and in my French press, I have two screens. I do press slowly, rather than plunge and I get no grounds in my cup. I use the same grind combination with pour over.

Yeah...so you use an “amended” press system, eh? I’m thinkin’ the good Dr.’s analysis is still good cause you changed the rules...or at least the equipment. The mixed grind thing is interesting though. How’s the flow? I’d think it would still bog up from the extra fine stuff.

Yeah...so you use an “amended” press system, eh? I’m thinkin’ the good Dr.’s analysis is still good cause you changed the rules...or at least the equipment. The mixed grind thing is interesting though. How’s the flow? I’d think it would still bog up from the extra fine stuff.
My French press came with two extra screens. I decided to use two at a time. In the kitchen, I tend to change lots of rules. The flow is fine. I think the coarse grind creates enough space. So far, no problems.

I rarely make coffee using the same process two days in a row. I have a French press, stove top moka pot, espresso machine, Bodum pour over, Keurig, and a Mr.Coffee drip. On many days, I boil water in my hot pot, throw four scoops of ground coffee into a 16 oz. Pyrex measuring cup, pour 14 oz of boiling water in with grounds and stir for about a minute. Then I pour it through the Bodum screen filter into the Bodum decanter; basically cowboy coffee.

I never knew espresso shots had less caffeine than a regular cup of coffee.

And I finally got a read on how regular coffee and tea compared...about 2 to 1. Very roughly speaking.

Gary Larson once did a cartoon that gave a great characterization of the difference between Heaven and Hell. My spin would be that Heaven would hand you a “free refill forever” mug...both coffee and tea. Whatever. The cartoon is below:

89CA5F1A-504C-40A3-A70E-23711E6C0C90.jpeg

They show a little espresso pot, but I don't see where it is covered in the article. I was re-gifted one at xmas, so I've been using it here and there. It can't be too far behind Turkish/cowboy. I got news for the writer: some of the best coffee I've ever had was Turkish/Cuban/cowboy style, and I don't like bitter flavors. I didn't know caffiene was present to repel insects. At least I got something out of that article.

When I was younger and camped out a lot I had my own version of cowboy coffee. 3 lb coffee can 2/3rds full of water, add coffee grounds and an egg shell if I had one. Sit in the fire till it boiled up, remove from fire let settle, do it again 2 more times, set off the side for a couple of minutes to let grounds settle out and pour. Always tasted great to me.

When I was younger and camped out a lot I had my own version of cowboy coffee. 3 lb coffee can 2/3rds full of water, add coffee grounds and an egg shell if I had one. Sit in the fire till it boiled up, remove from fire let settle, do it again 2 more times, set off the side for a couple of minutes to let grounds settle out and pour. Always tasted great to me.
Egg shell?

Sounds almost similar to how Turkish coffee is made

Egg shell?

Sounds almost similar to how Turkish coffee is made
I've heard older Italians talk about adding egg shells in their percolators.

Eggshells, on the other hand, are made from calcium carbonate, an alkaline substance. So, in theory, if you add eggshells to coffee, you reduce the acidity of the drink and therefore the bitterness as well (4, 5). This means due to eggshell calcium content, adding eggshells to coffee can help improve your brew.