Good enough over the ears, 8 ohm headphone with 1/4" plug?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
I'm by no means an audiophile. My old receivers and my ham radio transceivers all have 1/4" ports.

What's a good enough pair of over the ears stereo (yes, I use Yaesu mono headphones for my ham radio activities, mostly CW) headphones with 1/4" plug for around $100 to maybe $150? I want to begin listening to my music in my office early in the mornings without disturbing my wife.

Thanks.

I have AKG 240s, and a lot of studios used to use them. I'm sure there are newer designs today, but I wouldn't have a problem buying another pair or recommending them. I've had mine for decades. The reason studios used them is because of their uncolored, flat, accurate response. For me, that translates into little hearing fatigue over long periods. There are certainly brighter and boomier headphones out there, but how long can you use them before you notice your inner ear itching? Or a headache? Or literal cognitive fatigue? Because your brain is getting hit with all this colored, accentuated sound.

I agree with you 100%. A flat response from headphones or speakers lets you hear the music the way the professional engineer mixed the music to sound best. Why distort their efforts with headphones or speakers that accentuate? If something sounds really off I can always tweak the treble or bass knobs but on my receiver those are almost always set to the middle of their range. But even a receiver can be off a little bit one way or the other. Thanks for the recommendation Zeno!

I have an old set of AKG Studio for music, which I used in an office environment for years. Also have a set of Klipsch wired earbuds, which are now discontinued. The XYL has the Kilpsch T5 II True Wireless and those are nice.

Much rather talk the XYL into going somewhere and listening to my stacked Klipsch Heresy's.

I'll third that, any pair of AKG's, got two sets here myself one for gaming and the other for studio work. I've got two different models and can't really hear much difference between them and they're solidly built. One lost the left channel a year back but that was easily fixed by taking the left side apart and re soldering the wire that had come loose due to too much rough treatment.