Good Score on a Savinell from an Antique Store

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 100% on your last statement. I'm generally frugal so I don't play in the Artisan market. Cannot beat a Savinelli for the price range. Speaking of other Italian pipes, I've had good luck with both Rossi & Molina, of course Savinelli has their hands in that pie too.
I was in the market for a 320 author shape, and wanted the largest bowl. I almost bought a Rossi, but wanted a smooth finish. The price difference was $23, so got the Savinelli Trevi 320EX. I'm pretty happy with it, but it is taking awhile to break in. I don't have many to compare, but it is the best, long smoking one.

I was in the market for a 320 author shape, and wanted the largest bowl. I almost bought a Rossi, but wanted a smooth finish. The price difference was $23, so got the Savinelli Trevi 320EX. I'm pretty happy with it, but it is taking awhile to break in. I don't have many to compare, but it is the best, long smoking one.
Funny, I actually have the Rossi Author, great pipe. Yeah the smooth finish on the Savinellis are appealing. I did see a Rossi recently at my local B&M that had a beautiful smooth finish. They wanted like @ $75 for it. Probably should have grabbed it but I had just bought a Bing so I thought better not for now. When I go back in there to re-up my EOS tobacco stock, if its there I think I'll buy it.

Funny, I actually have the Rossi Author, great pipe. Yeah the smooth finish on the Savinellis are appealing. I did see a Rossi recently at my local B&M that had a beautiful smooth finish. They wanted like @ $75 for it. Probably should have grabbed it but I had just bought a Bing so I thought better not for now. When I go back in there to re-up my EOS tobacco stock, if its there I think I'll buy it.
Great to hear about the Rossi. It's funny, but sometimes now, I wish I'd just gotten the rusticated finish. I hope it would smoke cooler. With mine, without more breakin, I have to be careful about letting the embers get too low in the bowl, or it gets pretty hot real fast. I've moderately cleaned up the antique store find, and it is a 815 KS. I may smoke it later for some PS LNF, so will report back. I talked to a guy in a brick and mortar one day about Savinellis, and he seemed to be an "old timer" to pipe smoking. He said you can always count on them to be structurally sound and good smokers. I like that-funtional. Still, they are also beautiful. Hope you are able to get that one Rossi.

Last edited:
Here's the pipe after some washing with plain water, stem got baking soda and magic eraser treatment and mineral oil then, waxed the bowl and stummel with beard wax containing bees wax. Stem needs more work on teeth marks and the faded area near the stem darkened but needs stain. It smokes pretty good so far-real wide open and easy sipping.
20221101_102128.jpg

Wow nice score! I also watch antique stores for pipes but have yet to find a decent pipe or even a fair price on anything. But I continue to look.
I went months before finding anything. Once I found a booth or two that handled pipes, I've just been checking back. Keep looking, and I bet you score something sooner or later. It sure helps you learn more about pipes, as you go. Marks are sometimes so hard to see, I've taken to using my phone to zoom in with the camera. Good luck!

Talk about finding a "diamond in the rust!" Savs are my favorite pipes and you cant go wrong with a Sav.
All this one needs is a little tender, loving, care and it will make a fine smoker especially during these winter months!
Congrats on the find!