Google Maps

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
There are many new developments in and around the area of Edmonton. Now I have learned to use Google Maps. It pin-points the location of the address with an ID icon and even includes the area code (zip code). I'm using it to visit a family tomorrow morning.

For the hell of it, I typed in the address of a Bob on the forum and it worked amazingly well. Then I noticed the satellite option and was able to zoom in to get a closer look of the actual road/street and landscape.

I would think there would be a privacy issue here.

Have any others used such maps, other than those who work for such agencies as the CIA or FBI?

Evening Slow_puffs,

With Google earth you can zoom in on just about any addy or grid ya want except restricted gov. and mil. areas. When my 11 yr old grandson showed me how to navigate it, I was really impressed. Called a friend of mine across town and said"I'm looking at your house and pickup rite now. He was going to run outside and wave to us. G-son busted a gut, :scratch: I just kept my mouth shut, I almost had said great idea. Guess they arn't quite that real time to us folks.

Bd

Never Forget

Yes, I've used them, and to my understanding the photographic images are dated, so I'm not sure if that would play into the privacy issues. What else should we expect? Here we have interstate cameras and red light cameras to help big bro keep an eye on all us pathetic little childrens. :no:

I've used that tool to look up places of historical interest to me,mainly
Battlefields from Civil War and WW2.It's neat to see my house too.

Winslow

Google Maps is an amazing tool that I've been using for years for many things.

As far as the FBI or any other organization goes - our government has better satellite optical technology than what is available on Google Maps, so I wouldn't sweat that particular website. And, as another here mentioned, the images are not real time so no one can (yet) watch you on your porch as you do your thing.

But the bigger question is what "right of privacy" can a citizen of this great nation expect when he/she is out of doors, assuming no warrant or reasonable suspicions exists that you are involved in a crime? The answer is basically none, for better or for worse. This is why it is OK to video tape you in taxis, malls, banks, department stores, etc. If you want privacy (and, again, aren't under investigation for crime), go into your house and do your naughty business under your roof with the shades drawn.

-Andrew

Puffs, if satellite view impresses you try street view! A lot of the major cities have it already available. You zoom right down as if you were standing on the street and looking around.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/

Some cities have started litigation to keep Google from driving around the cities with their street view vehicles on the basis of invasion of privacy.

http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~tebo/GoogleStreetViewVan/

Google just displayed their new phone operating system called Android that has some really cool street view features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRfVKzuUJ4

A friend of mine at work showed me Google Maps. I was shocked :afraid: when I zeroed in on Norfolk Naval Base in Virginia where my son is serving on the Enterprise. It not only showed all of the ships in harbor but you could even find out what ship was docked and where by name :confused: . You would think because of national security we would black stuff like that out :evil: . I guess we have forgotten about Pearl Harbor and 9-11 :cry: . Who needs spy satellites when you have the Internet and Google.

Mikem":ecga9g1a said:
A friend of mine at work showed me Google Maps. I was shocked :afraid: when I zeroed in on Norfolk Naval Base in Virginia where my son is serving on the Enterprise. It not only showed all of the ships in harbor but you could even find out what ship was docked and where by name :confused: . You would think because of national security we would black stuff like that out :evil: . I guess we have forgotten about Pearl Harbor and 9-11 :cry: . Who needs spy satellites when you have the Internet and Google.
That is a very interesting take on it Mike!

Google maps is not real time, and I would guess even less so regarding military bases. The picture of my house is at least two years old, perpetually midsummer. If someone wanted the kind of information Google dispenses for nefarious purposes, I think he'd get it firsthand from his own feet.

Jack

I question the real time scenario (or lack there of). When I looked at Norfolk my son's ship had only been there about two weeks and the Carrier George Bush was still in dry dock getting ready for sea trials. If it wasn't real time it was only about two weeks old. The pictures (depending on where you focused) even showed all the gear on the flight deck of the Enterprise getting ready for refit. When I asked what dock he was at and what ships were next to the Enterprise everything matched what he said. Homes may be a year or two old but I saw the pictures of the base and they couldn't of been only about two weeks old at the most. Even if pictures are a year old you should not be able to get pictures of military installations at all IMHO.

Also, there's some sites dedicated to finding odd, funny, and shocking things that happen on google streetview, such as a full dressed diver walking down the street, a car on fire, and a kid falling off of his bike.

Mikem":iqx6opzw said:
Even if pictures are a year old you should not be able to get pictures of military installations at all IMHO.
Agreed.

I had no idea they broadcast detailed maps of military sites. It's especially odd, considering the vast areas of the Hudson they blur out around the Indian Point nuclear reactor. On the other hand, the bastards who wish us harm don't need a map to know that attacking a base--or a mall, or a bridge, or a transit system--is going to hurt Americans. But why give them any possible break? Due dilligence, and all that.

Bear in mind, this is OPSEC/DHS dropping the ball, not Google Maps. Google will block out whatever they're asked to, military installations included (search for Quantico, VA, and you'll find a big brown blur over much of the town.)