Got my pipe apart - now another problem - UPDATE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I finally got the old Dunhill apart by using a clock oiler to get some high octane gin in between the stem and the shank, and I'm ashamed to say, it was a problem of my own making  :oops: .  The stem was loose so I stuck a piece of masking tape on the tenon as an emergency fix.  I forgot I had done that.  Bad idea.  If I ever need to glue anything together I think I'll use masking tape and tobacco juice!

Anyway, now instead of a stuck stem I have a loose stem.  Any sure-fire fixes?  Thanks...

I have had good luck with getting the tenon extra clean and putting a stripe of black fingernail polish on it. You want to really let it harden though or it is probably going to act like glue.

I've used a thin layer of super glue, clear nail polish (definitely let it cure longer than you think), and the really old school heat the tenon up using a flame and lightly press it into the side of a table or something. That last one is a last resort and the management makes no warranty as to it's suitability for any purpose other than ruining your stem.

Seriously the first two are preferred. Bees wax can also help by causing the wood to swell slightly as the wax gets sucked into the fibers.

Hope something helps otherwise you may have to get a new stem made.

Jim

Before bulking up the stem with glue or nail polish, try this simple trick:

Warm the tenon over a lighter flame briefly - not enough to make it sag but definitely warm to the touch. Then let it cool. Test the fit.

A loose tenon is often caused by removing the stem while the pipe is still warm. This compresses the vulcanite tenon, making it smaller in diameter than the mortise. Heating the tenon briefly will allow the compressed tenon to "remember" its original shape, fixing the loose fit.

ontariopiper":j9v3ok9p said:
Before bulking up the stem with glue or nail polish, try this simple trick:

Warm the tenon over a lighter flame briefly - not enough to make it sag but definitely warm to the touch. Then let it cool. Test the fit.

A loose tenon is often caused by removing the stem while the pipe is still warm. This compresses the vulcanite tenon, making it smaller in diameter than the mortise. Heating the tenon briefly will allow the compressed tenon to "remember" its original shape, fixing the loose fit.
I have had success with this one a few times

If life had afforded me the option of owning Dunhill pipes I would hope it also afforded me the resources to contact a professional to make my pipe good as new. Just one perspective.

Zanaspus":gntgws10 said:
If life had afforded me the option of owning Dunhill pipes I would hope it also afforded me the resources to contact a professional to make my pipe good as new.
It did, but it's just a pipe to me, no more and no less than any of the others.  

bdNIJJXl.jpg

Idlefellow":r54hnl33 said:
Zanaspus":r54hnl33 said:
If life had afforded me the option of owning Dunhill pipes I would hope it also afforded me the resources to contact a professional to make my pipe good as new.
It did, but it's just a pipe to me, no more and no less than any of the others.  

bdNIJJXl.jpg

Impressive collection!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":v73epsmm said:
Impressive collection!

Cheers,

RR
Thanks!  It's more of an accumulation than a collection; I'm no collector.  They all get used and ( :oops: ) occasionally abused; they're chewed, charred, some have a ding or two.  But they've been good faithful friends for may years, through good times and bad.