Got out to get some excercse this AM

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an old Raleigh 3 speed when I was a kid. Gave it up when I got my motorcycle endorsement at 15/16. I think one of my grandkids still rides it though. As I recall it was red when I got it new... I'm not sure, that was a while ago.......

I had a Schwinn 3-speed as a kid, which was a step up from the Huffy fat tire 1-speed I originally inherited from my older cousin. That Huffy was a bitch though, and due to the lack of low gear made it impossible to navigate the hills.

Rode the Schwinn from about age 10-16 until I got my drivers license. 10-speeds had now come into being then in the mid 60's, but wasn't interested. All I wanted was 4 wheels and a motor!

Kept the Schwinn 3-speed, and used it briefly in the early '70s when I was living in my first apt and just needed a joy ride now and then. And some years later, I acquired a 10-speed from my Pap who had gotten it as a promotional item. It was a racer and I found the riding position uncomfortable, so got rid of it in due course.

Never have had a bike since. Don't care for the uncomfortable feeling on that small seat. Those of you who can tolerate it, more power to ya!

Cheers,

RR

I went to that bakery this am for my ride and came home  with three baguettes strapped to the luggage rack , Felt very French for sure and will definately this winter when I wear my beret !! :twisted: :twisted:

I haven't seen fenders and a chain guard in a long time, gotta be a vintage piece.
But, good for you that your feeling that well to do that but, like someone else said, take it easy, Rome wasn't built in a day ya know. ;)

That's quite the ride there Monbla. I always dig vintage bikes. I have a Lespo Standard here in Korea that looks mighty similar. You can see it in the link (and practice your Russian):

http://yuri7751.livejournal.com/383100.html?thread=2571388

I'm pretty sure it weighs more than my car with my family in it. My wife ridicules me for having it because that kind of bike was typically used by vendors for carting around rice. Downhill on it is scary because it picks up speed due to its weight and the brakes...well let's just say there is a reason for the advancements in bike brakes over the years. Uphill...ha! I have to get off and push and then I begin considering abandoning it in any nearby parking lot.

But your bike Monbla, there are more than a few hipsters in Vancouver that would trade their beard for that preserved antique.

Happy riding!

Psmith":kp4ppibk said:
That's quite the ride there Monbla.  I always dig vintage bikes.  I have a Lespo Standard here in Korea that looks mighty similar.  You can see it in the link (and practice your Russian):

http://yuri7751.livejournal.com/383100.html?thread=2571388

I'm pretty sure it weighs more than my car with my family in it.  My wife ridicules me for having it because that kind of bike was typically used by vendors for carting around rice.  Downhill on it is scary because it picks up speed due to its weight and the brakes...well let's just say there is a reason for the advancements in bike brakes over the years.  Uphill...ha!  I have to get off and push and then I begin considering abandoning it in any nearby parking lot.

But your bike Monbla, there are more than a few hipsters in Vancouver that would trade their beard for that preserved antique.

Happy riding!
Gee wiz guys, I got the bike in the early '70s and Raliegh made 'em till the '90s and this style bike is still made in China! What's vintage/antique about it !!?? :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":k3ahbz1d said:
Gee wiz guys, I got the bike in the early '70s  and Raliegh made 'em till the '90s and this style bike is still made in China! What's vintage/antique about it !!?? :twisted: :twisted:
I'm not sure but they may have been referring to the owner. He's about as "Vintage" as one can get. :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

BTW have you taken the pipe up again?

AJ