Got Phished This Morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Woke up to an invoice in my email from Apple...for some game bought in the U.K. for £80,13 (about a hundred bucks in USD). I click on the sending address which says Apple Play Store (an official Apple sales entity) and it shows some bogus address as the real sender. I try to go into "my" Apple account to find it locked for security reasons (a quote) I go to unlock and discover they want my whole SSAN, bank ID including account number and card data, etc.

It is to laugh.

A quick call to Apple and a ten minute struggle to get a live rep and I'm directed to forward the original email to "[email protected]" by Dave...my new best friend at Apple. Whew!

I apparently did most of the right things. Can't imagine ANYBODY handing out critical data like that...but some do I guess.

Danger Will Robinson!!!

You handled the situation properly and the issue you've experienced with " phishing " from a bogus Apple so called store has been a problem for a while. You would be surprised how many seniors that are not computer savvy fall for it. Did you Change your Apple ID? This is the main reason I use a VPN or when possible a Proxy Server I built a few years ago when online.
The best scam now is you get a phone call from " MICROSOFT " telling you your computer is infected with serious viruses and for $99.00 they will scan your PC and remove them. Microsoft will never call a user of any Windows OS and state your PC is infected. Thousands have fallen to this SCAM!
Glad it worked out well for you..... :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Yes...Apple password has been "adjusted".

I've made a few purchases out of the U.K. In the past several weeks. Found some Lamy Dark Lilac ink cartridges which are pure unobtanium elsewhere. And they were cheaper than regular ones here stateside... even with shipping from Cardiff. With the fake Apple invoice being in £ (and you can't make purchases directly through Apple to a Apple U.K. In £) I assume the hit came from over there. Or Russia. lol

Also - I've heard about the fake Microsoft virus phone call, over about the past month or so.

Thanks.

It did not originate from the U.K., it was either Russia or China. These hackers are using Proxy Servers and difficult too also track.
Right now my IP Adress is being bounced out of Finland, not that difficult to do with some knowledge.
It's much safer to surf the web using a mobile device rather then a PC or Mac.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

No system is invulnerable to cyber attack. Play on the web, you might get stuck.

I can't believe anyone would ever fall for these things. In fact, I was just discussing how gullible some people can be with this Nigerian prince I've been talking to lately...

idbowman":7a5stkhn said:
I can't believe anyone would ever fall for these things.  In fact, I was just discussing how gullible some people can be with this Nigerian prince I've been talking to lately...

Oh, don't listen to the Prince, he doesn't have two coins to rub together........ Not after the Princess and I got his Swiss bank account cleaned. (smirk).

It's no wonder he's fishing. Phishing. Whatever. I need to rest my pole......... :twisted: