Goulet Replacement Nib is Stunning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
A friend gifted me with a highly desirable Opus 88 Demonstrator in a gorgeous Orange acrylic.  It came with a very nice broad nib...but I’m such a sucker for a stub...and I found one of Goulet’s German JoWo Made nibs in my gear.  So I tried it out.  Heaven.  Pure heaven.

That is a awesome looking pen. And it’s in Tennessee Vols orange too you can’t beat that at all. It that pen a piston fill or converter? It’s funny how sometimes something can be so simple looking but be so darn awesome looking at the same time. You don’t have to have all the gold/ silver accents or rings or designs or flakes in it to just look good.

So you do like the goulet nibs? I have a pen around here somewhere that the nib is very scratchy when writing. I researched around Christmas time and found that a goulet nib would fit it. But it was Christmas time and I needed the funds for that instead of a nib and I put it up. But where did I put it?

Congratulations on the great looking pen and the new nib. Write on

Right?!!! Big thumbs up to the Goulet stub replacement nibs. You've reminded me that I forgot to pick one or two more up, along with a few Noodler inks i've been eyeballing. :cheers:

eggman - If you have a scratchy nib...fix it.  There are many tutorials on uTube showing how to go about it safely and effectively.

Re the Opus 88...it’s neither a cartridge/converter nor a piston fill.  It’s an eye dropper.  Therefore the ink capacity is massive...over 3.5 ml.!  The pen is unique and awesome.  Note that shutting off the ink flow makes it burpless on an airplane.  Here’s the description from the Goulet website...

“The Opus 88 Demonstrator fountain pen is truly a unique writing instrument. This large non-postable pen is a eyedropper-filled pen with a piston operated shut-off valve. Featuring a translucent amber-orange resin, this pen’s design stands on its own. It has a silver clip and a silver stainless steel #6 JoWo nib and includes a glass eyedropper to fill the pen with your favorite ink.

An ebonite piston and rubber gasket seals the feed off from the barrel when fully depressed, reducing the risk of leakage and burping. By unscrewing the blind cap and loosening the rod at the rear of the barrel, you open up the ink flow to the feed. During long writing sessions, leave the shut-off valve open to take advantage of the impressive ink capacity. Having a translucent pen body allows you to see both your current ink level and your nib while capped.”

Cool, huh?

Here’s the pen, propped up on Watson, my Pug.  Note the insane capacity.  It’s filled with Private Reserve Tanzanite...chosen for its very wet flow.

Darn, that’s a lot of ink. But I really like the idea of a shut off valve. If it decided to burp you could end up with 3ml of your favorite ink on your shirt and chest.

Still it’s a awesome pen. And the pug very happy that the pen is on his back

Just curious, how's the 88 doing? Still, enjoying it? I still like the look of it and may keep and eye out for one at the Arkansas pen show. Are there any drawbacks to it? Say for a left-hander?

Not being a lefty I can’t comment from personal experience on potential drawbacks there. Maybe just that a wet writing stub might not be a lefty’s best match. I’m guessing you’re gonna want a pen that writes fine and dries near instantly. Or else you’ll smear your writing all over the page.

I still have to say it’s my favorite pen overall. It beats out very tough mid-range competition like my Lamy 2000 fine, Waterman Carene stub, 4 different Platinum 3776’s, a couple of Pilots and Pelican 200’s, all my TWSBI’s, a drawer full of really excellent Chinese (Pen BBS) pens, etc., etc., etc. And let me avow that I am REALLY fond of all the ones I mentioned.

The Goulet stub nib helps it write well and finding the ink with proper flow to match it helps to. I can pick the pen up after a week of it sitting and it writes immediately...like the Platinum 3776. And I have no fear whatsoever that it will leak, etc. Plus I LOVE the orange color and big clunky size.

The fact that it was a gift from a brother here makes it all the more precious...unbeatable. Ya just gotta like a big pen.

I echo BH's sentiments as well. I have the 88 in the clear demonstrator model and have both the medium and stub nibs for it, though I personally favor the stub. Writes smooth and silky, without hiccups, and lays down ample ink.  As BH said, I can pick this pen up after days without using it and the ink flows well right out of the gate.  Size is large relative to other pens, but not obscene. I would not hesitate to recommend it.  If you attend the pen show hopefully you will have a chance to demo it.

On a side note keep in mind that the cap does not post. That is an issue for some people, but not for this Beagle.

Of course, I use Private Reserve Tanzanite ink in mine.  It has a very wet flow. Many users even consider it as an ink version of a diuretic.  

They also make a fast drying version.