Grabows for aromatics?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
So, I don't want to ghost one of my "good" :roll: pipes and I still like an aromatic here and there. Any better ideas for a aromatic only pipe (other than a cob)? Thus keepin my other pipes kinda ghost free.

Any pipe you want to smoke them in seems to be the answer to me. If you're concerned about stank crossing over, just dedicate a pipe to aromatics and have at it.

As an aside, not all aromatics are the devil :evil: You don't have to dedicate a "low end" smoker just because aromatics aren't generally considered "high end" tobaccos. I think most people move on from them as they mature in their pipe smoking more for the sake of tasting tobacco instead of toppings...not because they're inferior. Sure, some aro's are trash, but there are several out there that are blended using good tobaccos and toppings that aren't so intrusive.

It's usually a longshot, but if you can find out the "heritage" of an estate pipe, aromatics work great in an estate raised on aromatics or even burleys. (My aromatic pipes were my late uncle's, so I know firsthand they were broken in with cased & topped blends. Nothing fancy, but they sure smoke sweet.)

Meerschaum is what I smoke most aromatics with.Get yourself a good meer
like an IMP from Smokingpipes and you'll be set.

Winslow

The only briars I have dedicated to aromatics are Grabows, but not because I think that only "low end" pipes should be used. When I smoke most aromatics (with the exception of Shortcut to Mushrooms) I smoke them through a Grabow with a charcoal filter because I've found it does a great job of curbing some of the harshness and bite. I actually think this is why those filters come in handy -- it's not that they really help much health-wise, but they improve the smoking characteristics of aromatics and some burleys.

Good stuff guys. I was thinkin that the filter might be helpful with how moist some aromatics I like are ( I can leave them out all night and even in this colorado climate they still seem to wet). As for the meer I have been lookin for an excuse to pick up one or two.