Grape Nuts

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Not about the pandemic scarcity or halted production.

GN is my favorite backpacking food. Good for morning cereal (with powdered milk reconstituted). Good for a rest break snack. Doesn't get crushed. Good energy food. Great fiber...practically don't need toilet paper when in good doses (TMI).

I was searching for a How It's Made video, and ran across a couple short documentaries. One of the oldest cereals, if not the oldest cereal. First cereal to include coupons, some of which were for other Post cereals so people would try them. The most surprising thing was the glycemic index. Its index is 71, and straight table sugar is only 60. That's nuts (pun intended). The serving size is 58 grams, which is nothing. So, not necessarily the most healthy food. Post doesn't even know why it is named Grape Nuts, but with what little history they do know, the recipe has probably only been changed once, when they shifted to whole grains when they were trying to compete on the health market. It's never been comparatively inexpensive, but geez, it's pricey.

Yep, before the diabetes 2 that was my cereal, ate it dry while hunting, didn’t need milk. Still like it, and every once in a while I eat a handful.

Hmmmm. Cereals. Unless it’s USDA organic certified the original grain from which the cereal is made (wheat) may have been sprayed with RoundUp just two weeks prior to harvest. More likely in Canada. In addition to being a weed killer and carcinogen it’s also a desiccant and dries the wheat plant so the grain is easier to extract, saving money for the grower, etc.

The glycemic index of grape nuts cereal does seem weird. I looked it up and found an even higher rating…75! Good low GI cereals are Muesli (40), original All Bran (42) and original Special K (54). Plus rolled oatmeal, steel-cut oatmeal, and oat bran are all low GI foods, with a GI value of 55 or less.

SWMBO makes a killer grape nut bread. I'd offer the recipe to anyone who asks for it.....

SWMBO makes a killer grape nut bread. I'd offer the recipe to anyone who asks for it.....

ME! ME! I WANT IT! Please.

I remember the first thing I ever made in the kitchen as a kid (well supervised) was Mom’s recipe for “Norwegian Nut Bread”. It was supposedly her grandma’s favorite. And since Mom’s mother came over from Norway ‘on the boat’ I’m assuming it was authentic. As I recall it was kind of like banana bread with more nuts and spice and no bananas. I love batter type breads. They’re like heavy cake. Mmmmmmm!

Just yesterday my wife brought home a few slices of a Peppermint Patty cake from her office St. Paddy’s Day pot luck. Very heavy chocolate / chocolate chip cake…wait for it…yup, peppermint gooey glaze on top. Yummy.

That plus a bunch of 7-layer salad (how long since you’ve had that?) made for a fun dinner. I love it when SWMBO has an office pot luck. Real stuff from somebody’s kitchen! They divvy up whatever is left and send it home. We also got a bunch of pulled pork.

ME! ME! I WANT IT! Please.

I remember the first thing I ever made in the kitchen as a kid (well supervised) was Mom’s recipe for “Norwegian Nut Bread”. It was supposedly her grandma’s favorite. And since Mom’s mother came over from Norway ‘on the boat’ I’m assuming it was authentic. As I recall it was kind of like banana bread with more nuts and spice and no bananas. I love batter type breads. They’re like heavy cake. Mmmmmmm!

Just yesterday my wife brought home a few slices of a Peppermint Patty cake from her office St. Paddy’s Day pot luck. Very heavy chocolate / chocolate chip cake…wait for it…yup, peppermint gooey glaze on top. Yummy.

That plus a bunch of 7-layer salad (how long since you’ve had that?) made for a fun dinner. I love it when SWMBO has an office pot luck. Real stuff from somebody’s kitchen! They divvy up whatever is left and send it home. We also got a bunch of pulled pork.
Medium loaf

1 cup water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
.5 cup grape nuts
2 cups bread flour
1.5 tsp yeast

Mix well. Cover for 30 minutes. Turn into a loaf pan, greased on the bottom and sides and lined with parchment paper greased the same way. Bake in moderate oven (350°F) 1 hour, or until done. Check the bread with the toothpick test or with an instant-read thermometer (190-200°).

This was a bread machine recipe. We tried to convert it.

Just sharing what I got from SWMBO. I’d skip the parchment, but I’m not in charge. As for the conversion, the variable factor seemed to be ratio of depth of loaf pan / length of time in oven.

Good. I think I can do without the parchment too…and use the instant thermometer (LOVE that thing) to judge appropriate doneness. Now I just have to decide on just using all purpose flour or buying bread flour to make it more chewy…more gluten…whatever.

Oh…I’ll need some Grape Nuts too. You know, Kashi makes a product that’s sort of a clone for Grape Nuts but has a WAY better flavor. But I can never find it. We’ll see.

You know, Kashi makes a product that’s sort of a clone for Grape Nuts but has a WAY better flavor. But I can never find it. We’ll see.
You piqued my interest. Looks like it was discontinued. I would've tried that for sure.

Yeah…7Whole Grain Nuggets. My grocer used to stock it in a completely different section of the store than with the other Kashi cereals. And they wonder why sales were low? DUH!

8AD40DDF-4C87-4D69-A499-450BA7E2C80A.jpeg