Greetings Everyone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordFerndown

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jason and I am a tobacconist at Club Humidor in San Antonio Tx. I started smoking a pipe three years ago as a way to quit smoking cigarettes and found my new enjoyment, meditation, and ritual pleasure to replace an addiction. Its cool to find a forum of other pipe smokers, as I deal with 80% cigar smokers at work. Not that I have any animosity towards the other smokers of the leaf, in fact, I smoke about two cigars per day while at work. I find it gives my pallete a further affinity towards all tobacco in general. Though I will admit I am no expert on the subject of pipes and cigars, I am a dilligent student at the artform of smoking. In fact, I rely on fellow smokers to educate me while at work, and I am taking the certified retail tobacconist (CRT) course at tobacconistuniversity.org to further this pursuit. The knowledge I get I use to educate new pipe smokers while they pick out their first one and to find a good starter tobacco set of three. I always recommend a holy trinity of something they're attracted to by smell and texture. Three different tobaccos assure them they will find one in the bunch they have an affinity for. I currently have four different pipes. The first is a Czech bulldog basket pipe that was my first, a Castello sea roc that was given to me by my fellow tobacconist colleague Mack, a Savenelli Clarks Favorite which is a Bark Canadian and was a favorite of Clark Gable, and my prized posession, a Ferndown Reo 8 panel pipe with a silver military coupling. The one question I had to you guys was about the LJ&S that is inscribed in the silver. I know the L comes from Les Wood who was a silversmith for Dunhill for 25 years, and read that the JS came from his wife Dolly. However, does anyone know the direct meaning to the lettering. I read somwhere else that in Germany they are marked Elwood and in an L-Wood, or Les Wood. This shows that either there's a communication breakdown, or the dude has a sense of humor. However, curious to find out what these letters actually mean. I look forward to talking shop with everyone and to continue learning from everyone in the time to come.

Jason R. aka LordFerndown

Good morning Jason
No clue regarding the Ferndown, just wanted to let you know that I'm jealous.
What I'd give for a position in a tobacconists shop!

Greetings sir (-;

Welcome, Jason. Please share your experiences when you can. I'm sure you have some funny stories about some customers? (Just don't get your self in trouble with the boss!).

Natch