Greetings from a new convert in Afghanistan.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean68

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and Ladies, I hope),

I am a cigar smoker who has been teased and tempted to pipes by a fellow here in Afghanistan. He graciously offered me his spare corn cob pipe to try and a few days later I have ordered myself a few pipes and some tobacco tins to try. I am anxious to receive my new pipes and discover the joys of good pipe smoking!

Welcome to the forum and to the 'hobby/lifestyle', Sean! I hope you enjoy your time here.

"T"

just so you know, aristocob.com (a great cob site) covers shipping to APO and FPO as a little "thank you"

Welcome to the board, and may we see you home again soon, sir. If our paths cross, I would happily buy you a beer once you get back.

Welcome. I hope you enjoy pipe smoking even half as much as most of us do here. There will be a lot of differences from cigars to pipes. Pipes aren't as "hassle free" as cigars, but it sure is nice to be able to light up a great smoke and not pay $7 -$25 for it.

I enjoy both cigars and pipes, but with pipes I enjoy the artistry of the craft and mastery of the smoke.

.....anyway, I could go on and on.

"Welcome" was really the main point I was trying to make. :D

Welcome to the brotherhood Sean. Keep on reading here and you will learn the answer to any questions you might possibly have. Try not to fight the PAD and TAD, it is futile to do so :lol!:

Gentlemen, I thank you all for the warm welcome! I am attracted to the traditions and rituals of pipe smoking, so I will certainly be here often seeking information and guidance. This site is quite complex, however, it may take a while for me to find what I occasionally seek.

On a side note, I am pleasantly surprised to see how many of you who responded are from the south. I live in Kentucky and am planning a potential move to Huntsville, Alabama in the next few years. I am pleased to see the potential for fellow pipe smokers and Brick and Mortar shops (I love to support the local guy when one exists).

While I still plan to enjoy the occasional cigar, but it is easy to see that pipe smoking may become my favorite escape. Now, if I can just learn to pack the pipe right. Oh yeah, and to not pull so hard (those little buggers can get hot!). And how to pick a good tobacco... Etc. etc. etc...

Welcome and thank you for your service. Interestingly enough a gentleman on another forum in Afghanistan talked about his cob evangelism and a new pipe smoker. Seems this is a trend!

Welcome aboard. Hope the move to Huntsville works out, if you don't mind me asking why you planning on moving that way?

Gravel, that damned Kaiser83 caught me at a moment of weakness, when my cigar supply was drying up, and introduced me to his own particular brand of obsession...

I.Keenum, Huntsville Alabama has a good job market for the military aviation professional, a nice southern climate (and cost of living), and due to Redstone Army Arsenal and the NASA Jet Propulsion Center an active, culturally diverse (relatively) community. It is tough to balance one's professional needs with the personal needs. I need a community where I can enjoy coffee shops and pubs, farmers markets, and nice community parks. I want to be around people with whom I can enjoy spirited motorcycle rides, a good pipe or cigar, and long philisophical (the quality of the conversation, not necessarily the topic) conversations on the backyard patio...

Sean68":33xxad7a said:
Gravel, that damned Kaiser83 caught me at a moment of weakness, when my cigar supply was drying up, and introduced me to his own particular brand of obsession...
:cheers: :cheers: :twisted: A limited supply of cigars and a little knowledge on pipes and you can convert anyone lol. Pipe tobacco is cheaper than cigars and with the PAD and TAD attack you had yesterday you should be set for a couple months. Until that arrives though my stash of toby is at your disposal buddy. Matter of fact...