Greetings from Albemarle County, Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustOx

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

This evening I joined Brothers of Briar and I'm very glad to be here - though, I landed here in a somewhat circuitous manner. Specifically...

...Recently I became very interested in briar pipes: design, crafting, various styles and shapes. After a few weeks of internet learning/viewing, I decided that I **had to have** a pipe of my own - specifically, a Becker (their aesthetic just spoke to me). For a few days, I've been on the fence about taking the plunge (particularly at the Becker price point). I was going back and forth when - tonight - I found several of banjo's (Sante's) posts here on BoB in which he lauds his Beckers (and shared some great photos of them/him). And, then, I saw the relatively recent thread announcing his death. The description of his life in that thread (and his linked obituary) was quite moving - so much so that I purchased that Becker I've had my eye on. Thank you (banjo and all of you) for helping me in my decision.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the group.

With Kind Regards.

Thanks, guys, for the warm welcome.

A little more info on me and my interest in pipes...

While the incoming Becker is a new thing for me, I did smoke a pipe back in my 1st and 2nd years of college (some 40 years ago). I have no recollection as to what brand of pipe it was (shape was a straight billiard). Nor do I recall what tobacco I used at that time. I do recall that I - along with my roommate - purchased the pipes/tobacco from a local shop in Ann Arbor that was located in Nickels Arcade (between South State Street and Maynard): Maison Edwards.

I checked this morning (via internet) and (surprisingly?) the shop is still there. I've attached some photos below. Anyone here frequent that shop these days (or, at least pre-pandemic days)?

AO, welcome!!! If you are interested in Banjo's pipes, go to "eBay pipes" and enter "lumpyslures." He's posting all of our late Brothers pipes and fishing equipment!! You just missed one of his Becker's!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":r2vh6c99 said:
AO, welcome!!! If you are interested in Banjo's pipes, go to "eBay pipes" and enter "lumpyslures." He's posting all of our late Brothers pipes and fishing equipment!! You just missed one of his Becker's!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Yep, found the listings from that seller. Thank you.