Greetings from Delaware!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
Greetings, and well met! I'm new to pipe smoking and thought it would be fun to be a part of a community seeing as pipe smokers are friendly and helpful.
Some background: I'm a school counselor, working in the publishing world on the side (weird fiction) with a review blog that I've maintained for several years. I love fine whiskeys (I prefer scotch or bourbon, and a few ryes) and recently began to enjoy the occasional cigar with my glass. Pipes have beckoned to me for awhile, and I once bought a cheap basket pipe, so I decided it's something I would enjoy even more than the cigars. I took the plunge and bought my first briar, a Savinelli Tortuga, some tobaccos and some accessories. I began the break in last night, choosing to pack Frog Morton's Cellar, which is when I snapped this "Savinelli Selfie."
Look forward to meeting all of you.

-Justin Steele

Welcome to BoB! This is one of the best sites around. I hope you enjoy your stay. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Welcome.

I gotta ask though..... what's "weird fiction"? :lol:

Nice to meet you guys

@Direwolf: Weird Fiction can be hard to describe, but is a sort of non-mainstream, literary horror. It's not ghosts or vampires or slashers. It can sometimes include elements that would normally be associated with scifi or fantasy or mainstream horror. Weird authors include HP Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti, Laird Barron, and even some Stephen King is weird fiction flavored. Lovecraft once wrote that the Weird has a ‘certain atmosphere of breathless and unexplainable dread” or “malign and particular suspension or defeat of…fixed laws of Nature."

I'm not allowed to post outside links for 7 days, but if you google Jeff Vandermeer The Weird introduction you can read, in full, the introduction to a massive anthology of Weird Fiction that Jeff and his wife Ann edited.

Welcome Justin! This is by far the best group of folks Ive ever come across on the net. I'm also new to pipes, and couldn't begin to tell you all the stuff Ive learned from these folks, either reading older post or asking my noob questions. Even though I'm sure I haven't asked anything they haven't heard before a ton of times, never once have I gotten a snarky reply. Just good honest answers. So once again, welcome and feel free to peruse older post and ask any questions you may have. :D

@Fumus - Thanks! I look forward to getting more into the hobby. Even though I'm only one smoke in, I already love my Savinelli.

Do you guys dedicate pipes to genre (english or aro) or just smoke whatever? I think I will lean towards English blends, but I really enjoyed the Frog Morton's Cellar last night, which I think is an English blend that's borderline aromatic? I'm wondering if I should have a separate pipe just for the occasional aro smoke?

Also I bit the bullet and custom ordered a Sorring Owl & Sons leather pipe pouch. Can't wait for it to arrive, he does gorgeous work.

Welcome aboard, Justin.

As far as pipe/tobacco dedication goes. I prefer to smoke latakias in one particular group of pipes. I have 5 briars dedicated to Latakia. The rest of my briars are for Virginias, and a have a few small pipes specifically set aside for strong flakes.

I do not smoke much aromatic tobacco but for an occasional bowl a few blends here and there. I always smoke those in one of my cobs.

Welcome to the brotherhood. You have some good questions, and apparently good taste in pipes and tobacco for a beginner. I'm sure you'll get along fine here. Feel free to post questions whenever you have them. People here are always eager to help

Welcome to the forum from Oxman in the UK. We look forward to your contribution on discussions!

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the brethren. A fellow single malt whiskey lover here. Looking forward to seeing you round the board...