Greetings from eastern Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC Outlaw

Reaction score
Greetings, All.

A new joinee from eastern Kentucky; and a returnee to the pleasures of the Briar.

Many years ago I smoked a pipe, but promotions to outside assignments and shortage of time to minister to the processes of pipe smoking during the workday led me away from the pipe to cigarettes (30 years).

After 12 years away from cigarettes, and tobacco in general, I have returned to the briar.

And I am searching for a memory. I smoked Carter Hall in a Yello-Bole pipe for many years; never gave the pipe a rest, smoked several bowls a day, and one in the evening, cleaned the pipe infrequently. All the wrong things to do.

Then one year at the Holidays, a co-worker gave me a 100-gram tin of imported tobacco. I smoked it in the same pipe, under the same conditions, and it was heavenly! When it was gone, I drove 80 miles to the nearest city with a B&M tobacconist, and requested that he order me another tin. Two weeks later, he called to say that it was in and I rushed to pick it up. $28! In 1970! I paid for it, and smoked it, but could not justify the cost at that time.

I don't remember the name, but I think it was a Mac Baren blend. I do remember that it was 'ready rubbed'. I've purchased every 'ready rubbed' product that Mac Baren makes, and am working my way through them to see if I can find the smoke of my memory.

I've also begun exploring the other blends out there. My journey is just beginning.

What part of Eastern Kentucky?

I am a dislocated Knox County Native living up near Louisville.

Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to the pipe from another fairly recent returnee!

"T"

I'm in the knob country southeast of Lexington. About 50 miles 'as the crow flies', but a few miles further by the crooked roads in these parts.

Welcome Aboard! I hope you take advantage of all the great Kentucky bourbons. Your not in a dry county are you?

SailorJack, I'm sad to say that I live in a dry county. Most of the appalacian counties are very conservative, very religious, and tend to be dry.

So I have to travel to obtain 'potent potables'. But that's OK, 'cause it's legal to transport "quantities suitable for personal consumption in local option dry territories", to quote the applicable state statute.

I don't maintain a large selection, but the quality is there.

Thanks for the interest.

If you want to be real technical I work out of Lexington.
We are close enough to call it neighbors.

Puros_bran, I retired from commuting to Lexington. For the last 10 years of working, I was at an engineering firm headquartered in Lexington (Quest Engineers)..well, they were bought out by a firm from Omaha (HDR Engineers) the last 2 years of the 10, but I still thought of them as a local firm.

I was a specification writer. One of the few engineering people that actually enjoyed writing. Most engineers love to design or manage, but hate to write. Technical writing is too dry and tedious for them. They still call me from time to time to 'rake the chestnuts out of the fire'.

What do you do in Lexington?

Well I thought I was getting a job as a truck driver in the Thoroughbred Industry. It's turned out to be far more than that, I wear so many hats that it's hard to really say what I do. Lol. Transport, Amateur Vet Nurse, Groom, House Hold Mover, and on and on.
Sometimes it's a glamorous job, sometimes it's wallowing in horse shit. It pays the bills and gives a few of the guys on here the occasional jab to toss my way.

Welcome! I lived in KY for two years early on in life in the suburbs of Louisville. Have lots of great memories and a love of the Derby because of living there. Great experience for sure!

Thanks for the welcomes, gents.

It's kind of hard trying to break in five new pipes at the same time and try out a bunch of different blends while limiting one's self to only two bowls a day.

And I know that the blends will taste differently when the pipes are broken in.