Greetings from Idaho

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few things about myself: I'm an Anglophile, avid tea drinker, and ex cigarette smoker. I love to read, and have also been known to write the occasional science fiction story.
Lately I’ve been looking for a forum where I might learn about pipes from those more experienced than myself. The only shop close by seems more focused on cigars than pipes, and I’d really like some more information and history.

I've been a fan of pipes for a few years now, but I first began around 2003, in college, with a couple of inexpensive pipes from the drug store. From there I continued on very sporadically, until recently. My interest was renewed when I stumbled across the pipes I had bought in college. I had lost track of them for about a year after a series of moves. After finding them I read how to go about cleaning them, and have found that I enjoy maintaining them almost as much as I do smoking them.
Almost.
A few weeks ago I went to the local tobacco/cigar shop and purchased a nice (I think) fe.ro pipe, along with some tobaccos that were recommended. I've really enjoyed smoking the fe.ro, and now have three pipes to rotate through. To be honest I’m looking to phase out the drug store pipes, and might start researching their replacements soon.
As far as tobaccos, I’ve gotten some blends from the shop: Jolly Tars, Brandywine, and Sir Winston’s Special. As far as Sir Winston’s goes, I could take it or leave it. The Brandywine is really nice though, and the Jolly Tars is my definite favorite. If these are common blends, I have no idea. If anyone knows them, and has recommendations for something similar, I would appreciate hearing them. Also, I love books, if anyone would be so kind as to make a recommendation on a book that’s informative as far as something instructional/historical, I would really appreciate that as well.

Take care, and thanks for having me.

Welcome!

I've never heard of those before but I'm far from an expert. If you bought them out of a jar, they are most like common tobaccos that the store jars and renames. Usually from companies like Lanes or Peter Stokkebye.

Welcome, 3PP! You're in good company on pipes, and there are a few (like me) SF fans amongst us too!

Welcome 3PP. May I recommend the works of Rick Newcombe especially In Search of Pipe Dreams? I also highly recommend The Pipe Book and The Gentle Art of Smoking by Alfred Dunhill.