Greetings From Illinois

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestPiper70

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been smoking pipes now for about 4 years. What an awesome and very enjoyable hobby. It is amaizing how many mixtures there are out there. Although I throroughly enjoy trying different tobaccos and purchasing pipes, it is the relaxation that I feel while smoking the pipe that I love the most. It is much like meditation to me...your troubles from the day just drift away like the smoke in the air. My all time favorite is Esoterica Penzance. The first tin of Penzance that I opened, the smell that escaped...probably the highlight of my pipe smoking career so far lol. Alas, you can't pigeon hole yourself to one tobacco. To broaden my horizons I have been on a quest to find an aromatic that I can enjoy. Being such an english blend lover, in particular, a latakia lover, I figured this would be hard but after my first bowl of Hobbit's Weed from Tewksbury Company, I have hope. I have realy enjoyed this first bowl. Very mild and cool burning. Anyway, glad to be here...let me know if you have suggestions for aromatics that I should try (or any other tobaccos for that matter).

Cheers,
Nathan

Welcome aboard Nathan,

I am new here myself, and new to the varieties of tobaccos as well.
Figured Id say "Howdy" to ya.

Dusty

Welcome, Nathan! Best of luck in your searches! Be sure to share your results, good and bad

"T"

Welcome to the Brotherhood Nathan. It sounds like Penzance nailed you right off the bat. You mentioned aromatics, Latakia, and made a LOTR reference. You might try a blend called Shortcut To Mushrooms from www.justforhim.com/catalog/. It's kind of a strange Cavendish/Latakia blend that has aromatic elements that are not overbearing.

Welcome Aboard Nathan!! Enjoy the Voyage! We here are always willing to make suggestions on blends you should try.

Welcome to the board. I'm also in Illnois. Where in the state are you located?

Welcome Nathan.

My earliest memories were growing up in the SW Chicago 'burbs. Potowatamie (sp?) Hills. Near Calumet Country Club which was a brief earlier memory. This was in the late 50's btw.

In any case I went to kindergarten (Orchard Hill) and 1st grade in Illinois. And then the family moved to cheesehead land!

Cheers,

RR

Another Illinois native here. Born in the south suburbs of Chicago (Harvey, then Hazel Crest, then just over the Indiana state line). Later moved into the city, and that's what I consider home. Now have lived in Korea since 1999.

@Preacher: I swear I have that exact same pipe the dog is smoking in your icon. Look about one minute into this video: https://www.youtube.com/kevinpare#p/u/18/fZ12AT3Y5W8

Thanks for the welcome all...I am from the quad cities area in illinois, a small town called cambridge to be specific. Glad to see so many from illinois here. I been smoking this hobbit weed...pretty good as far as aromatics go...still like english better but it is a very fresh change. Burns nicely and the taste is nice and sweet on the tongue but luckily turns into more of a tobacco taste an instant later or on exhale. Anyway, I do like it. I also have been revisiting Rattray's Old Gowrie. I have only been smoking less than a hand full of years and I kind of started heavy. I ordered Penzance, old gowrie and a variety from C&D including Billy Budd (contains cigar leaf) So needless to say I was overwhelmed lmao. After Penzance things paled in comparison but even then Old Gowrie had such a different taste to me but then again I hadn't tried a mostly virginia blend. Tasted real grassy. Anyway, now a few years later and some bowls under my belt, revisiting it is so worth it. I really like the taste. It is weird but I smoked a bowl of hobbit weed and right after, in a different pipe, I smoked some okd gowrie and you could really taste the naturally sweet taste of the virginias. God I love pipe smoking lol. Cheers!!!

Hello and welcome Nathan...as a newb I can't recommend too many tobaccos, however, I'm smoking the Holiday Spirit that McClelland makes and it's pretty darn good. You might give that one a shot since it's "that time of year"!

Welcome!

I have to second that recommendation for Shortcut To Mushrooms from justforhim.com. I think it tastes better in a churchwarden myself, but boy is it a good smoke. They also offer a sampler consisting of about two fills each of five different blends from their Middle Earth Pipeweed series: http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1800 I found Shortcut and Old Toby the most enjoyable, they are a required part of my rotation.

By the way, I am in northern Illinois near NIU.