Greetings from North Florida Newb.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0ldManJenkins

Reaction score
New to tobacco in general, I've smoked a few cigars, but that's about it. But, about a year ago, my wife and I stopped by a little smoke shop, picked up a couple cigars, and on a whim, I bought a cheap wood pipe ($20) and a couple ounces of flavored (?) Tobacco.

I smoked a bowl occasionally, loved the smell and taste, but was actually clueless to the whole art and traditions of pipe smoking. I didn't realize anything about packing, and basic pipe care. A few months ago,the pipe broke.

Last week, I wanted another, but lucky me, the guy in the smoke shop knew a little about pipes, and clued me in to packing, building ash, false lighting, cleaning and resting.

I picked out a little curved, black H.I.S. Briar that I liked the look of, for at least twice as much as I meant to spend...

My interest was piqued, and I've spent a lot of time reading about Briars, and pipe smoking in general. So, with my new briar and a head full of new information, I packed in some flavored tobacco, settled into a chair on my back porch and found a bit of magic.

Today, I ordered a couple cobs, and a $5 maple. These will help me try new tobacco and rest my briar. ...As well as another thing to experience for its own merits.

A lot of my searches for information led me to this forum for the answers, so it seemed like a good idea to join.

I haven't been here long, but have learned a lot.

Welcome.

:face:

I think it was a very good idea for you to join.:) Also new to tobacco and pipes, and like you, had only smoked a few cigars over the years (nothing fancy or expensive). Have learned a ton from asking my noob questions and reading old post. Have never gotten a snarky answer to any of my questions either, just good solid advice, and information. Great bunch of people here, glad to have you aboard. :afro:

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Where are you located in north Fla?

Welcome to the forums and to the past time! I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"

Welcome aboard, we'll help you make you wallet a bit thinner here. lol

Welcome to the disease known as PAD. Pipe Acquisition Disorder... "twice as much as I meant to spend". It is an enjoyable hobby and there is a wealth of knowledge and brotherhood to be had here.

Welcome along Jenkins. You started out in pretty much the same way as myself; a few cigars and then discovered the briar. Hope you enjoy both the journey and this board as much as I have.

Welcome to BoB Jenkins, but at age 44 you're hardly an "Old Man". Some of here are almost twice that....LOL!

Anywhoo, lots of friendly folks and tons of great info here. Hope you enjoy your pipe journey!

Cheers,

RR

Welcome aboard. Good to know that I still have two years to go until I am officially an Old Man. :p

Welcome Jenkins. I'll echo what has already been said which is that there is a ton of combined knowledge on this forum and if you have a question, you will definitely find answers here - good folks.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I'm probably a bit young to call myself Old Man, but I've been using that name online for a few years. :)

A lot of the stickied posts in the forums have already given me a lot of information.