Greetings from Reno

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalescent

Reaction score
Hello, brothers of the briar!

I'm brand new to pipe smoking and have been enjoying it immensely for the last couple weeks since my first pipe purchase, a beautiful Peterson Fermoy B10 fishtail. I've since picked up a Peterson system standard as well. I'm just beginning my foray into the art, so I've only tried a couple types of tobacco... an aromatic called Wilshire from Tinder Box in the Fermoy and an English blend called Dunhill Nights in my system standard.

I'm trying to break my new pipes in slowly and correctly according to the wisdom of the internet, but I've been tempted to smoke them more than I perhaps should. So far I've resisted.

I've been smoking cigars off and on since I started in college in roughly 2001, but I've always wanted to try pipes. My grandfather, uncles, and father all smoked pipes, but my father at least stopped some 20 years ago when he wasn't able to smoke at work anymore. I have fond memories of the smell from my childhood.

I've found the experience to be absolutely wonderful so far, not to mention far cheaper than the rather expensive cigars I enjoyed. I'm sure my developing case of PAD & TAD will quickly cure that.

I've been reading this forum off and on since I found it two weeks ago, and decided to join today. I'm normally a lurker on internet forums and have been since I began reading forums in the 90s, but the community here seems to be something different and special and I thought I'd try chiming in for a change.

Thanks to all for the shared wisdom and experience already stored here, and for the welcoming atmosphere you've presented.

-Chad

Welcome to the BoB forums brother, glad to hear you signed up and began posting! :D

Welcome to BoB! Lurking or posting, I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"

Welcome to BoB brother glad you joined up. Break in rituals are contested all over the place and you will find people on both sides of the aisle as far as proper procedure. Go with what you feel comfortable with and I am sure over time your opinion will adapt.

Welcome from Ireland brother! :cheers: :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

Thanks for the warm welcoming, everyone!

kaiser83":4ew6wdsw said:
Welcome to BoB brother glad you joined up. Break in rituals are contested all over the place and you will find people on both sides of the aisle as far as proper procedure. Go with what you feel comfortable with and I am sure over time your opinion will adapt.
I've noticed a number of different opinions on the subject, and wound up chatting with my father and going with his advice, which was fairly traditional according to most of what I ran across on the internet (lots of partial bowls smoked slowly and all the way down to build up a cake in the bottom). At the very least this method hopefully won't hurt anything, and I look forward to building experience of my own and, as you say, forming opinions of my own. Thanks for the thoughts!

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join in on the fun. The brothers here are an easy going bunch with plenty of knowledge to share.

leftover421":dbchg8yj said:
Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join in on the fun. The brothers here are an easy going bunch with plenty of knowledge to share.
Thanks, brother! Awesome avatar, by the way. Love those games, especially the original two.