Greetings from Salt Lake City!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
Hey all. Glad to be a new member here. I'm a pipe smoker going on 12 years now with no intention of stopping.

My favorite tobaccos are-

VIRGINIAS-
FVF (made before the G&H merger). My desert island tobacco hands down. I have 3 or 4 pipes dedicated to this tobacco alone.
BBF (pre-merger)
Germain Rich Dark
Stonehaven
Anything McClelland (RIP)
St James Flake (pre-merger)
Orlik Golden Sliced
Dunhill Flake
Germain's Brown Flake
Escudo
Dunhill Navy Rolls
Kingsbridge
Reiner Golden Flake
Mac Baren VA#1
Mac Baren Pure VA

ENGLISH/ORIENTAL BLENDS-
Germain Latakia Flake
McClelland Frog Morton Series
McClelland 2020
Plum Pudding
Penzance
Nightcap

AROMATICS-
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
Blue Note
Da Vinci

The pipes are smoke the most-

Anything by Peterson in the x105, 106, and 107 shapes (standard English billiard)
4th Generation pot
MM Cobs

Look forward to smoking with you all!

Welcome to the group! That's quite a list of tobaccos many of which are hard to find. I recently found some post merger Balkan Flake that was lacking, happy to find I'm not alone.

Yes I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Virginia snob. But I really think something important was lost in the merger.

The FVF is not nearly as stoved and ripe. It's brighter in both color and flavor. Not as tangy. And I detect a citrus note which is something never associated with FVF. And I'm afraid there's even a small Lakeland ghost in there!

In addition, the Bright CR Flake from G&H has changed. The post merger batch I received was very dark, the same exact shade as the lighter FVF. Not at all like the glowing bright flake of yore.

In essence, it's like all the Virginias coming out of there now are much more generic in nature and lack the character of the pre merger batches.

Very disappointing.

Last edited:
Great intro Bonn and thanks for sharing. You'll fit in here just fine. Don't be bashful about taking part in the thread action, and a hearty welcome to BoB from your neighbor to the south!

Cheers,

RR

Howdy to a neighbor in the preceding time zone. Have ever tried the original Medium Virginia Flake (sort of between BBF and FVF)?